Gifted Children/Reg my 11 month old baby

My 11 month old baby has amazing memory and understands instructions/whatever we ask very well.
1. At 10 -11 months he identified all alphabets,numbers, shapes,colors.
2. He knows which is kept where at house. He identifies our car at any parking lot. Identifies our home from some distance.
3. Identifies fruits, vegetables in super market if we ask any.
4. It takes hardly a minute to teach him anything or may be he knows already, not sure
5. Recently found out that he can read too...not only words, but even sentences!
       A. If I write an instruction in paper 'where is the crayon?" ..he glances it and takes me to where the crayon is.
6. If he is hungry, he would take me to high chair, if he is tired takes me to bedroom , would takes us to bathroom
7. If I ask him, what letters are in a particular word..he identifies the letters. We have a letter mat, so he goes and stands on those letters. He identified the letters of the word ' encyclopedia' !! was so hard for us to Believe.

He has learned to read on his own..our part is little. We have been reading to him from early months though.

His gross motor and fine motor skills are average. He had bad acid reflux so he suffered for the first 6 months.

He doesn't walk on his own yet. He does all these by holding my hands and steering me in the direction and bends and picks up for whatever is asked. He also picks up correctly if we hold two things in the hand and ask for the right one. He doesn't crawl.

He is not a good sleeper..wakes up often. He spoke his first word at 5-6 months. Can speak few words now, not much.

English is not our first language. We speak a different language at home.So his proficiency in English so far is
amazing to us.

How to guide him right?. Are there resources or institutions that we can go for detailed guidance?. We feel that he is v advanced for his will he be able to mingle with other kids of his age ,will be feel different?. How to keep him motivated ?. So far he is social and goes to other people easily. He likes babies and kids and plays well with them

Thank you for writing. I'm going to refer you to a previous question/answer. It's 4/1/2014 - "My 2 year old is clearly gifted..." The question is exactly the same as yours. You'll see good information, but it also tells you that you are not alone. It can feel lonely to be the parent of a gifted child. People, even teachers, seem to resent another person who has a gifted child, if they don't. They can be quite rude.

Research shows that children with higher intellects don't sleep as much as kids of average intelligence.

Free Spirit Publishing, will be a source of support, encouragement and information throughout your son's childhood. You can start feeling more confident today.

Another resource is the Critical Thinking Company, It's the exciting movement in education to teach children how to think and problem solve, rather than just rote learning.

For information about all aspects of wellbeing, health, development, etc.:

From the American Academy of Pediatrics, info about kids only

From the Academy of Family Physicians, for the whole family.

Don't worry about getting him enough intellectual stimulation - the world will never run short of that. Don't go to a lot of expense for learning materials or programs. There are plenty of people who take advantage of parents like yourselves, just trying to create the best future possible for your child. He learns from anything and everything. It's important to have rest and naps at times, also. His infant body still has infant needs. Even if he doesn't fall sleep at naptimes, he can be quiet in his crib. Remember: YOU ARE THE ADULT AND THE PARENT, not your son. He may get angry about not being the boss and have tantrums. That's ok. You teach him about rest by requiring it of him. You can be firm without being harsh.

Avoid the trap of talking and talking and talking and explaining and explaining. The fewer the words used with discipline, the better. As you know, he'll want you to talk to him ALL the time. Remember YOU ARE THE ADULT! It's good to not constantly explain everything to him. It's ok to say things like "Mom needs a rest from talking right now. We'll talk later." You must follow through - stop talking, even though he's doing his best to keep you engaged. Even though not giving in to his demands causes you fear and guilt, a good, effective parent does the right thing, what's best for the child, even when it doesn't feel good. He needs that from you. He doesn't need you to motivate him. In fact, more likely he will need you to slow him down.

He's a kid before he' a gifted kid. He will be able to have fun with other kids, as you mentioned in your question. Some gifted kids prefer kids a few years older. Feeling different can be a good thing; you can shape him to be thankful he's gifted, it opens doors for him, and it can also be used in service to others.

One more thing - it can be dangerous for your son to go to other people so easily. I'm sure you'll help him learn appropriate boundaries and who is safe/not safe.

I hope this has been helpful. Return to this site anytime. Your family is going to be OK, all of you. Thank you for letting me serve you.

I wanted to add a couple things. Speech and toilet training is often a bit delayed with gifted kids. Some don't like to make mistakes with speech and wait til they are more confident with it before speaking at all. They don't like to break away from activities in which they're intensely interested and are perfectly happy to keep using diapers. That's fine. You don't have to rush him, even though family may put pressure on you to train him very young.

I know what it's like to have a baby with reflux. My daughter had it so badly that she had to have surgery at 4 months old.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.