Gifted Children/Board games for gifted kids

Hi Faith!
Could you give me your opinion on what to look for when selecting board games for gifted children?
Thank you so much!

I don't have particular characteristics for which to look - preferences are so variable that it may be helpful to have your child(ren) pick out a game. It's less important for the game to be intellectually stimulating than for the child(ren) to have fun. Another function of games is learning social skills. Learning to have fun and developing social skills can be difficult for gifted children; it's astute thinking on your part to include games in development.

At, enter games/gifted children, you'll find recommended games and information about their role in giftedness.

At Free Spirit Publishing,, you'll find some games, and materials that are good for starting conversation. There are also games for character development, which I strongly support. No matter how smart a person is, if they don't have people skills or solid values, there is little chance for success or fulfilling relationships.

Another place to look is on Amazon. There are a lot of games which list age/intellectual level. "Tabletopics" are fun conversation starters that can also be stimulating.

Backgammon, the old classic, is easy to learn but as skill develops there is plenty of strategy to engage interest. It's popular on college campuses, but children can learn it easily, too.

I hope that's helpful. If/when you find a game or games that work for your child(ren)and family, it'd be great if you'd send me a message; I can share that with other parents and educators.  

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.