Gifted Children/Advanced twin 5 year olds

I am struggling with a few things. I have twin boys that are 5 years old and in kindergarten. They have been tested partially for reading, math and comprehension. In all of these subjects both boys score at an early 2nd grade level. Our problem is that these two darlings do not want to do normal everyday child activities. The do not want to go outside and play, they do not like cartoons, they have no interest in activities of an average 5 or 6 year old child. The boys would rather research things on the computer or play adult games. They read 2nd and 3rd grade books for their school reading assignments. They read the newspaper with grandma every morning.

The school has been giving them all of the higher grades work and they are excelling above what they are being given. One of the boys teachers stated that she is dumbfounded as to how intelligent these boys are and stated that her student has performed negative number subtractions and did them correctly.

We are struggling with what we can do as parents to keep them going the way they are going. Should we look into gifted schools? At what point would it be advisable to have their IQ tested to see where they actually should be? I also have been wondering if there are programs on the computer that I can download to continue to help them learn? They have requested the United States Presidents and the States and Capitols maps, and also the universe information, the dinosaur information and have asked for math far above their tested level. Is it something we should be doing for them at this point? Or, would that be pushing them too much?

Very blessed mom of two!

Dear Stephanie,

I am about to walk out the door to my dauther's 21st birthday dinner! But I wanted you to have a response right away because this is important. So I will give you a direct and brief answer; let me know what additional questions you have after reading this, and we can communicate more!

You are so lucky and blessed, I agree!!! Congratulations!

Here are the things you can focus on:

1) Their cognitive advancement is not necessarily aligned with their emotional, social, and life experience advancement. Giving them challenging academic materials that are socio-emotionally appropriate for them may be a challenge. Please keep this in mind, so they have the chance to develop through that lovely innocence of childhood ... on their own schedule!

2) You may do best placing them in a gifted program. That is a personal decision that has many implications, including their social and emotional development. Their peer set will change if you change their placement, and this will have a dramatic impact on their development. Your mother-meter will help you decide if this is a good solution.

3) In the meantime, teachers are supposed to practice something called "differentiation of instruction". It is entirely possible to provide your children with engaging and interesting material even while they are in the existing classroom. Here are a few ideas you can discuss with the teacher and principal in order to maximize your children's experience while in the current school:

---They can be switched to a classroom with a teacher who is certified in Gifted and Talented Education.

---You can purchase enrichment materials to provide to the teacher - and your children will do this enrichment work in lieu of the on-grade work that is below their ability level.

---Your children can serve as cross-ability peer tutors, helping other children in their grade. This will provide your children with wonderful exposure to leadership and give them a chance to get to know classmates with whom they might not be close.

---The school can augment your children's curriculum with computer based and printed materials that are more challenging and appropriate.

Well, there are a few ideas to get your started! I am so happy for you. Let me know if you have further questions. I do suggest that you print this and bring it to your teacher and principal. They are responsible for responding to your children's very real needs.

Best of luck and Happy Parenting!!

Darleen Claire Wodzenski, MA ESE, QPPE

Gifted Children

Darleen Claire Wodzenski

Gifted children require a bit more creativity and flexibility when it comes to parenting, education and child rearing. Please ask questions pertaining to parenting, self-esteem and body issues, relationships, social development, learning models and educational philosophies, family and sibling issues, dating, emotional development, self-harming, philosophy and spirituality, etc... My Brain-Based approach to raising and educating gifted learners reflects a blended philosophy that draws on graduate training and education in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Exceptional Student Education, Ministerial Studies, and Neurophysiology. Perhaps most important is that I am a mother and grandmother who has raised a few gifted children in my time. I look forward to learning about your gifted and talented learner! Happy Parenting!

My greatest experiences have been as a parent, grandparent, teacher, counselor, and interventionist for children with gifted or talented abilities. I love to incorporate brain-based strategies into parenting and education. My goal is to support parents and families to help their gifted and talented children become more joyful and effective in school and in life.

The Orchard Human Services, Inc.; PsychoNeuroEducational Institute, LLC ( Amma Academy; American Counseling Association; Universal Brotherhood Movement, Inc. ; Council for Exceptional Children;

Publications,, Envision Health, The Local News

I have enjoyed a rich academic background, including a Masters Degree in Exceptional Student Education from Nova Southeast University; my Doctorate Degree is in Divinity, and I also completed a 4 year Pre-med Program with an additional year of Doctorate level study in Health Sciences. I will be receiving a Masters Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling in fall of 2015, and also have had extensive experience teaching piano and dance, as well as tutoring college from undergraduate to graduate level. The sum total of my experiences, education and life has left me with a tender heart for gifted children. Their special gifts can leave them vulnerable in unusual ways, and we need to handle them with kid gloves so that their innocence and inner beauty are preserved as they grow into adulthood. I enjoy drawing from a diverse background in learning models, therapeutic strategies, and parenting techniques to create solutions that are effective, gentle and uplifting. Parenting is a gift that keeps on giving, and even challenges are laced with tender moments and great opportunities to share meaningful experiences with your child.