Gifted Children/Gifted?

My son is 2yrs 8months old, yesterday I gave him a new game to play on my tablet. I thought it would be a fun simple game to amuse him. It shows a picture and says what it is. You then swipe to the next one. He swiped past all of them after they said what it is. He looked at the picture for barely 2 seconds. At the end is a test. Four pictures show up and he is asked to find the ****. He finds it immediately with no hesitation. Including ones that he had never seen nor heard of until he played the game. On his first play... he got a full score... he was also distracted by his show while playing the game so his attention was split. He is able to multi task. And he grasps concepts and situations with an ease I have only seen in older children. He also never had issues with vocabulary. Some sounds are difficult obviously he is a toddler after all. But he only started speaking less than a year ago and now he can hold a conversation with us. Full sentences are broken because his vocabulary is large but not yet on par with older kids. But he only needs to hear a word used once to understand when to use it. We also only ever need to explain things to him once and he understands fully what we mean.
So. Is his gifted or just advanced?

I want you to know you haven't been forgotten. It may be tomorrow before I get your full answer to you. In the meantime, you may want to take a look at Free Spirit Publishing, FABULOUS resource about raising kids with different learning styles. Family activities too.

The other thing you'll want to look at is the Critical Thinking Company,, another treasure of a resource, focused on teaching kids how to think and learn, as well as problem solving, rather than rote learning. It's the new and exciting trend in education.

Thank you for your patience.

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.