Gifted Children/Help interpreting WAIS and fluency measures results

My WAIS results were as follows.

VCI - 123
PRI - 113
WMI - 118
PSI - 98

D-KEFS results

Verbal fluency
- Letter Fluency:  95th percentile
- Category Fluency: 37th percentile
- Category Switching: 37th percentile

Color-Word Interference
- Color Naming: 37th percentile
- Word reading: 50th percentile
- Inhibition: 37th percentile
- Inhibition/Switching: 37th percentile

I'm not sure how experienced you are in assessments like this, but any input would be appreciated.  This was part of an ADHD assessment.  

I don't understand how my PRI was so low.  I understand it's above average, however, I expected my PRI to be at least 10-15 points higher than my VCI since I've always excelled in mathematics and I'm very good at visualizing things and putting designs of my ideas on paper.  The only test I did quite good on was Matrix Reasoning with a score around the 95th percentile in that subtest.  Both Block Design and Visual Puzzles were roughly average scores.  All 3 of these seemed to be the easiest tests I did.  She said I ran out of time on some of the arithmetic test items on the WMI, however, I calculated the correct answer.  She said the same for visual puzzles.

I did take the test on about 4-5 hours of sleep and right after a final exam for school.  I also have a slight case of test anxiety and the psychologist noted I was anxious.  I'm also typically a more methodical test taker. I don't know how much these factor into different parts of the test.

I'm really just trying to understand these scores.  I've always been "slower" than I would wish.  I'm typically one of the last ones to finish tests and I'm terrible at managing my time.  I'm curious as to how much my processing speed could have impacted the scores on the PRI and how I can manage this in my day to day life.  I'm also curious as to how much my fatigue and test anxiety influenced the scores.

Your question contains much of your answer. There is no exact, objective answer. In medicine we have a saying: "A test is a test is a test." It means tests of this nature have limitations. They may give you some information to work with, but they are not specific, defining, exact, consistent or determinant. All of the things you name - fatigue, test anxiety, the nature of the test, influence results, as do many other factors: time of day, temperature of the room, hunger, the test administrator, test interpreter, temperament/mind-set of the test-taker, and on and on. The scores have no value without context, and can create more misunderstanding than understanding. The people who created the tests often caution the users not to put too much weight on the results. Binet, of Stanford-Binet fame, was very critical of the testing tools he developed. So I can't give you the exact meaning you seek, especially with a single testing event and almost no context.  Taken the day before or the day after could be entirely different. No one can give you exact answers.

This testing can be useful, in unexpected ways. With some professional guidance, you can learn about yourself, and how your beliefs and styles of functioning work for and against you. You say you're slower than you'd like. That doesn't mean that you're slow. Are your expectations unrealistic or valid? What does so-called "slowness" or "quickness" mean? You didn't give me your age or educational level, but I can tell you that the complexity of your thoughts and questions are not those of someone who is "slow". What does intellect have to do with an individual's value, or expectations of that individual's performance?

I encourage you to use this experience to learn about your beliefs and perhaps you'll identify something that gets in your way that you may be able to alter, or let go of unduly critical self-judgment. Free Spirit Publishing,, has materials to learn more about intellect. The Critical Thinking Company,, is useful.

What I can tell you, unequivocally, is that: You are valuable. You are enough.

I hope this is helpful, although not in the way you expected. You're welcome to use this site again.

Dr. Coleman

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD

No questions are off-limits. My strengths are understanding what questioners are really trying to ask, knowing the right questions to get to useful answers, and putting complicated, subject-specific words and concepts into language accessible to lay-persons. The topic is fascinating and can be surprising, the opposite of what might logically seem expected of giftedness. I am skilled in identifying giftedness at any age, including very early in life.

Children constitute about one-third of the patients in a Family Medicine practice. I was Director of Children's and Women's Public Health Education Programs with the Northeast Texas Public Health District. I have two highly gifted children, one of whom attended Roeper School, listed first in this site's Sponsored Links. I was the health expert for Roeper's board of directors; I maintain contacts there. I'm on the board of directors of several organizations of which I'm a member. I spent a summer as the Medical Director of a camp for kids with ADD, ADHD, and psychiatric disorders. Editor, Medical Economics Publishing Co. licensure to teach K-12 in Oklahoma, with added qualification in Journalism

Champions for Children: Advocacy, resources, quality assessment, for early childhood daycare (Board of Directors). American Academy of Family Physicians. Michigan Academy of Family Physicians Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. READ: Advocacy, education, resources for teaching and encouraging literacy in adults. East Texas Network for Children (Planning Board).

Journals: Medical Economics, Contemporary OB/Gyn, Diagnostic Medicine. Albuquerque Journal Daily, Tyler Daily News, New Mexico Daily Lobo, New Citizen Weekly, Alpena News, daily.

BA, Journalism MD University of New Mexico School of Medicine. Internship, Detroit Medical Center. Family Practice Residency, Top-100 Hospital - Beaumont. Clinical Faculty appointments to three medical schools. Faculty, Family Practice Residency, Detroit area.

Two official commendations awarded by United States Army for service and contributions to young soldiers and families. Publishing Internship, Medical Economics Publishing Company. Research Internship, Hastings Institute of Society, Ethics, and the Life Sciences. Woman Medical Student of the Year. Numerous others.

As above in experiences, publications and awards. Many thousands of patient/family encounters.