Gifted Children/Gifted children

Question
Hi. I wondered if you could tell me whether or not my 5 year old might be gifted. She has been able to write her own full name since she was 2. She started to read at 4, and can now basically read anything. She writes her own books. She goes to an outstanding rated school and her first full year report says she is the best reader the teacher (who has nearly 40 years experience), has even seen. Should I be pushing her more academically or there anything else I can do as I am worried that I am failing her as a parent by sitting back. I am happy to leave feedback. Many thanks.

Answer
You are not failing your child by not pushing her academically. Gifted children are more often pushed too much academically, when they need more encouragement with emotional development. There are always plenty of opportunities for academic development. Look for opportunities for emotional development - how to get along with other people. Look for character-development resources. One of the best is Free Spirit Publishing, www.freespirit.com.

Another good resource is the Critical Thinking Company, www.criticalthinking.com

Gifted Children

Faith A. Coleman MD