Global Telecom/+48 Volt and -48 Volt in Télécommunications equipements

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

My question is what's the déférence bitween +48Volt and -48Volt in Télécommunications équipements,if there is than which is the best?

ANSWER: With telephone systems, -48V is used almost universally because of the electrochemical action that is accelerated with positive voltages, which results in corrosion. The result is additional maintenance costs, and additional service problems or outages resulting from corrosion if positive voltages are used.

Tom Smith
http://tjstechnical.com

QUESTION: thank you for your response;

I dont understand,what do you mean by(which results in corrosion) corrosion of what exactly?.

Thankyou a lot.

Answer
Corrosion of the copper. If there is any small crack or opening in the insulation, then there is a tendency of the copper to be oxidized or combined with other substances and be changed from a metal into a copper compound, thus reducing the strength and current carrying capacity of the wire, and over time causing the connection to be broken. This is the result of a chemical reaction between the copper and the substances in the surrounding earth in buried cable. Positive voltage attract the ions which accelerate the process by which copper combines with other atoms, and then increases the rate at which the connection is disrupted. By applying a negative voltage, the rate of the chemical reaction is decreased.

I hope that helps clarify it.

Tom Smith
http://tjstechnical.com

Global Telecom

Tom Smith