Global warming/Climate Change/Removing the Carbon Dioxide

1. How does Carbon Dioxide affect the atmosphere?

2. How can we as middle schoolers help reduce the amount of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere?

It’s all about optics. Carbon dioxide gas is virtually transparent to sunlight. Just like ordinary window glass. So the ground can absorb the solar radiation. So it hearts up. Because it’s warm it radiates heat out as infrared radiation. Carbon dioxide is opaque to infrared radiation. But some gets through as some of the infrared radiation dodges the carbon dioxide molecules in the air. When the ground gets to a certain temperature it radiates enough to balance the energy in the incoming light. And average temperatures become stable. With more CO2 in the air there is more to block the outgoing radiation so the ground gets hotter until it radiates more and a new stability is achieved.
   I dreamed up the idea of utilizing agricultural soils to absorb the excess CO2 in the air and into soil, back in the 1980s. I gave a lot of talks both here in Australia and in the US on my ideas. It’s become accepted and described as “soil carbon sequestration”. In simple terms the carbon in the CO2 becomes the carbon in newly formed humus.
   The US National Dept is now around $17 trillion. If we paid our farmers $10 a ton for CO2 converted into soil humus it would cost about $5.8 trillion to remove all the excess CO2 causing the global overheating. Then things would be back to normal. To keep it normal we simultaneously need to start a switch to nuclear energy for power and biofuels for transport power. But the soil carbon sequestration is extremely urgent. Very much so.
   Only an organic type of agricultural can create humus in soils. And it’s a natural process. It also produces just as much food and at about the same cost. (Google the Rodale Institute for good information)
   Your job is to fight the propaganda that says nuclear energy is dangerious, because it really is the safest energy system in the world today.   
   Your job is also to argue for biofuels grown in cleared tropical rain forests. That’s sugarcane and oil palms.
   Your job is to remove the taxation law that allows farmers to claim agrochemicals and fungicides and  pesticides and herbicides as taxation exemptions.
   Stopping global warming can only happen if we put the geological carbon and the agrochemical industries, out of business.
   So their spiel is that atomic energy is “dangerious” and trees and rain forests “must be saved”. Utter rubbish.
   The geocarbon companies and the agrochemical companies (just like the cigarette companies) intend to stay in business. So watch ‘em.
   Don’t do this and in five years (at the most) global warming will be absolutely irreversible.
   And in your life time you will see sea levels rise around the world by at least 20 feet. Maybe as much as 100 feet, but certainly somewhere between.
   In Australia the above answer to global warming is now being called “the Yeomans Solution” to climate change. (And I am flattered)
   Hope I’ve been of help, because it’s now up to you and your friends. So best of luck.  

Global warming/Climate Change

Allan Yeomans

All aspects except details on specific or local areas. No questions labeled "private" will be answered.auclear

Author of PRIORITY ONE Together We can Beat Global Warming. Published as paper-back in US and hard-cover in Australia. Agricultural consultant both in Australia and the US. Aviation meteorologist and lecturer.

American Association for the Advancement of Science Australian Gliding Association

Various agricultural magazines and newspapers.

No degree, but post graduate work on nuclear physics and early computer designs at Dept of Physics, University of Sydney. Numerous lectures and presentations at colleges both in Australia and the US.

Several agricultural design awards at the Australian National Agricultural Field Days. Winner Queensland Gold Coast City 2001 Innovation Design Award