Goats/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Small kid.3/16/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: how are you? I have a kid doeling was born two days ago, she is one of three. She had two much ...
  A: Do you have any oral antibiotics? If so would certainly start her on those right away. If not, ...
COLD BUG3/10/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: some of my girls have a persistent cough and not lungworm as they all have been wormed. Most of them ...
  A: Do the does spend a good amount of time in the barn or other enclosed areas? What does their hay ...
nanny goat placentia3/4/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: Nanny meat goat has placentia hanging out after giving birth for 2 days.Worried about flies and ...
  A: Usually never a need to put a nanny down for this. You can cut the placenta at about 5 inches ...
Fainting goat runny nose3/2/2017Cheryl K. Smith
  Q: We have a female goat who has had a constant runny nose since she was 2 days old. She has been ...
  A: It could be some other type of allergy, not seasonal. You can try giving some Benadryl syrup and see ...
pinched nerve?3/2/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: Donna, this is not for me but a friend. She has a female goat that has been dragging her back foot ...
  A: Has she recently kidded? If not, then nerve damage from use of too long of a needle for ...
Possible CL2/22/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: Donna. RE- the doe with the lumps on her rear side udder. How can I deal with that meaning is it ...
  A: If the lumps seem hard I would try to check the contents, that is either using a very large bore ...
Udder abscess?2/21/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: Donna. Seems I'm having my share of problems today. While checking out one of my Doe's, specifically ...
  A: Are these reddened at all? Does there seem to be an indentation in the middle of each? ...
Grain2/21/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: Donna. How are you? Around Xmas time Maple a large breed girl gave birth to three kids. If you ...
  A: That is definitely a lot of milk. giving extra fat in her diet can help. I use 3 day old bread from ...
Switching baby goat to whole milk2/14/2017Goatlady
  Q: On your 4 day process you list half milk and half electrolyte mix. The electrolytes say do not mix ...
  A: I'm not sure which electrolytes you are using - the one I use does not say that (Vi-TaL) but if ...
Pygmy goat2/9/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: I tried the mineral oil with my pygmy and it worked but he seems to be in pain while he's urinating. ...
  A: Is his pee a normal color? Would try the lemon juice that I think we talked about before. Let me ...
mini nubians rear feet2/7/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: I have mini Nubians, ones that will be a year old in march and others are older. All of their rear ...
  A: Are they all related? If related this can be due to genetics. If not, then the malformation can be ...
5 day old fainting goat2/6/2017Goatlady
  Q: My goat is 5 days old and was rejected by the mother so i am bottle feeding . He is raspy in his ...
  A: have you taken his rectal temp? if so what is it? normal is 101.5 to 103.5 - higher is fever - if ...
goat with vaginal discharge2/5/2017Cheryl K. Smith
  Q: 3months ago 2yr old goat(Littlie) miscarried 6wk early babies had been dead for at least 10dys and ...
  A: I would wonder about another course of antibiotics. You can also give something like oxytetracycline ...
baby nubian w/swollen ears2/3/2017Goatlady
  Q: 24 hour old male nubian (billy bred mom through a chain link fence we didn't expect babies for 6 ...
  A: I am SO Sorry I didn't see this message until now I have had this happen with 2 results - one the ...
infected vulva1/28/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: Donna. I have a 4-year-old Nubian Doe here that after contact with the buck has very puffy red ...
  A: Unfortunately orf can cause lesions in the skin around the vulva and soft undertail area. I would ...
Goat Problems1/27/2017Cheryl K. Smith
  Q: I am a 14 yr. old girl and I have a 9 month old Alpine doeling who suddenly got skinny in the past ...
  A: Has she had a fecal exam to see if she has worms. Between the bad hay and that, it could cause ...
Placenta1/26/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: What do I do if she hasn't dropped the placenta within 12 hours?? ANSWER: Can get oxytocin ...
  A: Making sure marigold is warm and hydrated is important. She still may pass the placenta tonight. If ...
coccdia.1/25/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: Donna. I have had a cold running through the herd and they are mostly over it now but has stressed a ...
  A: So the only worm that causes a change in lower inner eyelid color is really the barber pole worm. ...
4yr nubian has not cycled1/24/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: i have 4yr old Nubian that had triplet in April 2016 and we have milked. She has not cycle that I ...
  A: If a goat is overly fat (lumbar score of 4+) that can trigger the reproductive system not to ...
My year old Pygmy doe can't stand1/22/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: I believe my doe is pregnant. I don't know when the kids are due, but soon I think. I have 2 bucks ...
  A: Sounds like they injured here back or pelvic area. This could be ligament or bone or nerve issue. ...
Pygmy goat constipated?1/22/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: I think my 1yr old pygmy goat is constipated. He pushes and nothing comes out and he screams. Could ...
  A: What is his regular diet? This could either be from urinary calculi or constipation. Have you seen ...
Bump on goats lip/ Eye discharge1/19/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: My husband recently purchased a pygmy goat from a local farmer. He was suppose to be a pasture mate ...
  A: Did your husband happen to notice if any of the farmer's other goats had any bumps/lumps around the ...
Female hormones?1/18/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: I have 2 female goats. Mother/daughter approx 11 y/o and 7 y/o. Neither have been bred in 5-6 years. ...
  A: Is this doe up on her selenium supplement? It is possible if she is low on selenium this could be ...
Possible Mastitis1/17/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: Donna. If you remember the Doe that had milk fever, and what seemed like a touch of Mastitis. I ...
  A: What is the weather like? It is possible that it is so cold, even in a shelter, that the teats are ...
goat unable to open mouth1/13/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: I have a 10 month old billy goat. He has a swollen face and can not open his mouth, he is also ...
  A: How long has he had the swollen face? What is his temperature? Is he up to date on his tetanus? This ...
Deer worm1/10/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: Donna, how are you? I think I have my first case of deer worm in a couple years and doesn't surprise ...
  A: Has she been out on pasture where the deers are? Has the weather been wet? If not, then it is ...
suspected pneumonia1/8/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: Donna, hope you are enjoying the winter so far. I have a facebook friend with a goat that is very ...
  A: I agree with you about pneumonia. goat also probably has polio,from not eating well. definitely ...
CL1/6/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: I have a question. I have done a bit of research on CL and locations in the goat's body to look for. ...
  A: CL outside lumps are generally only in the face and neck area/areas of lymph node location. Inside ...
Nubian buck acting weak1/5/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: We have a 2 yr old nubian buck. He has been acting fine up until a last week. Started acting a ...
  A: Has it been cold where you are? B12 really does not help, in cases of loss of weight and not eating ...
No milk and low milk production1/2/2017Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: They are all five to six years old we have also had three goats that have aborted their kids with in ...
  A: The milk issue could be age for some. but it could also be a selenium deficiency and/or low protein. ...
Nursing Mom lack of milk1/1/2017Goatlady
  Q: We had 2 baby Pygmy goats on Wednesday and the mom seemed to be feeding them fine, but we noticed ...
  A: Jenny I am SO sorry you lost your baby :( I have dealt with this situation and this is what I do ...
goats1/1/2017Goatlady
  Q: i would like to use my goats for milking, breeding and pets. I was wondering if a Madurai Goat is a ...
  A: It is a goat breed of India.. the middle east breeds are quite different than the breeds here in ...
Urinary Calculi in female kid12/29/2016Goatlady
  Q: I am very new to any type of farming so please bare with me.... I have (2) 11 week old female ...
  A: I have never had a female goat get urinary calculi (due to the simple shape and shortness of the ...
help12/29/2016Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: we were given a goat that we believe is pregnant. she is dripping blood from her vagina... we have ...
  A: Any chance you have a due date on this doe? Can you still feel her pelvic ligaments? Is her udder ...
nubian12/25/2016Goatlady
  Q: you wrote me an amazing email about a photo that i submitted. you said it was a nubian goat. thank ...
  A: I personally have never seen a Pakistan goat (I believe they live only in Pakistan) That being said ...
goat12/23/2016Goatlady
  Q: i am moving to the country and am thinking of what type of goat to get. i am looking at some goat ...
  A: It took me a little bit to see this goat up close and decide what breed it might be due to the ...
cyst12/21/2016Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: My goat was acting strange (didn't want to eat her pelleted feed) and when I felt her under the jaw ...
  A: As an aside Kalanchoe contains cardiac glycosides and these are toxic to animals. Is the ...
grunting12/16/2016Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres
  Q: first up if you remember the little fellow with swollen cheeks seemed to make a full recovery but ...
  A: First off, sorry to hear about the little guy. Grunting usually occurs when they are either eating ...
chronic "cough" ?12/16/2016Goatlady
  Q: My 15 year old male pygmy goat lives in the city of San Diego with my two golden doodles and myself. ...
  A: Sometimes benedryl will help with allergies and sometimes not. That being said doesn't mean the ...
Goat pregnancy12/13/2016Goatlady
  Q: I have a doe that is due December 22 but it's is possible she was bred earlier. She has been by ...
  A: Except for the color of the discharge- (does it have an odor? and there Are times does will have a ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

Top Expert on this page