Goats/angora goat skin

Hi. I hope you would be able to help me.
I slaughtered an angora goat yesterday and i love the skin of the animal so I would love to keep the skin as a mat.But i am not too sure as to how it should be dried.

I'm hoping you could advise on how to go about it.

I was told to let it dry in the sun, pouring loads of coarse salt over it. I dont know if this is the right way.

Thanking you very much.

Hello - I have never tanned/cured an animal's skin/hide.  We have a friend who just stretches the hide out,scrapes excess fat and tissues off of it and then uses coarse salt to dry it out.  But there are many informative sites on the internet that give you step by step instructions on tanning/curing a hide.  Hope this helps - if you need me to copy some of the informational sites for you and send via e-mail, just let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County