Goats/baby goat horns bleeding

QUESTION: I am fairly new with goats. I have a baby about 6mo. old, about half way down on both horns i found blood. Her horns are about 5in. long. I mashed her horn to find infection coming out. Seems to be very painful. I started her on antibiotic. Please help me I want to take care of this asap. Thank you.

ANSWER: What antibiotic and what dosage? You ae doing the right thing by treating her. Don't put anything on it that would keep it moist. If you have blu Klote you can spray it.  Let me know about the antibiotic if you have dosage questions, otherwise make sure to give a full course.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your response. The antibiotic is Bio-Mycin 200  and 4 ml. What is this and what should i do.

You only need to give this every 48 hours, which makes it easier for the kid. Do you have any idea how much she weighs.? The dosage is 5 ml per 100 lbs of body weight. So You may need to give only 1/2 cc or so. Give it subcutaneously, not in the muscle. Good luck with her.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law