Goats/bad needle

Question
Hello Donna , as you may remember some of my goats have been fighting Mastitis for a big part of the summer . The good news is ellie responded to the pen treatment very well and as been free from the mastitis for a few weeks now and is dried up . Sadie also  responded very well and is well on her way to being dried up . Santanna died tonight because i broke the cardinal rule and never pulled the plunger back on the needle . I knew immediately something was wrong as she collapsed . She died in my arms . What a stupid mistake to make , one i won't soon forget . The only good thing in this if there is such a thing is she won't have to suffer all the needles anymore . I'm sure I'll now be terrified to give needles in the back leg again . I always knew this could happen , but i never believed it would . She never did respond to any of the treatments for a very long time so maybe it is best . I know I'll miss her thats for sure . Thanks for all your help .
Barry

Answer
I am so sorry to hear of the loss - don't beat yourself up - it could happen to anyone - you make a good thought about Santanna not responding to treatments and sometimes things happen for a reason.  I am able to get epinephrine from my veterinarian so have that just in case.  You can also use Primatene Mist (it has epinephrine in it) and use five sprays to equal 1 ml of epinephrine injection - this is sprayed into the mouth and usually has the same effect as injectable epinephrine - I think it is still available online over the counter.  But with that said, no should have, could have, would haves - that's what my daughter tells me about mistakes - as long as we learn from them that's the best we can hope for.  So glad the other girls have cleared up nicely.  Hang in there - you're a great goat caretaker - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres