Goats/Boer Buck Can't Pee

First, we have been to the vet and we know that our buckling does not have stones but some sort of blockage at the end of his glans penis which is preventing him from peeing.  They gave him dex and penicillin hoping that if it were an infection that the swelling would reduce and that he would pee.  We are now approaching 48 hours with these same conditions.  We are giving him penicillin - continued with the dex and we are drenching with lemon juice as well.  When the pizzle was cut off, a long strand of mucous came out.  We continue to find mucous and blood when we irrigate that area with warm water.  Any other suggestions.  Would LA 200 be better.

Thanks for your help.

I am sorry I am responding so late but I was away from a computer all day.  Okay, so if you are finding blood and mucous that is sounding more like an infection.  What type of bedding is the buckling on? If cedar shavings that would cause urinary tract infections.  How old is the buckling.  Is there any sand type material at the end of the penis? Penicillin is okay but in urinary infections I would suggest oral medication such as Sulmet or terramycin - 3 cc per 15 pounds body weight of the Sulmet twice a day or 1 teaspoon of the terramycin powder per 15 pounds body weight twice a day - both of these antibiotics taste terrible and so should be mixed with either electrolytes or lemonade or apple juice and then orally drenched.  If he is not drinking well then I would also advise orally drenching with either human type electrolytes or livestock electrolytes.  Re the dex, is that dexamethasone?  I would opt out of that and use aspirin at one 325 mg tablet per 75 pounds of body weight every four hours to help with pain, inflammation, swelling, and possible fever.  Is he running a fever? Anything over 102.5 is a fever.  Would continue with concentrated lemon juice at 1/4 cup per 25 pounds body weight every 2 hours for two doses and then possibly repeat tomorrow, just to cover for possible calculi.  During the time he is on injectable or oral antibiotics he also must be on probiotics to keep his rumen functioning.  Yogurt is fine or powdered or gel probiotics twice a day.  Hope this helps - you are more than welcome to call me too if you'd like - 360-742-8310 - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County