Goats/Re: Migis Update

Question
Good Evening Donna,
Its 9:50 pm i just took Migi out to do his business and his poop looked like 1/2 soft plop & 1/2 dog clump w/berrie form it was weird i wonder if his poop was trying to get back to normal. But i gave him 1/3 cup of Milk of Mag and 1/3 cup of Mineral oil b/c it just dawned on me i wonder if he has some hay balled up in his intestines b/c u know Donna when i feed him his hay i put it in a x-large bucket i fill it to the top and before this incident i told u about him eating his hay like crazy so i'm wondering if he has the hay balled up in his intestines again b/c like u said when he eats his hay he gets hay belly & b/c it takes awhile for the hay to digest. I think i should give him just one little flake at a time. I tried to put him in his pen but he dosen't want to go into it b/c hes feeling sick so i let him roam free outside until hes good & ready to come in. What will the Mineral Oil do give him DIARRHEA? Thanks Donna

Luv,
Me & Migi

Answer
Sounds like his system is trying to get back to normal. Doubt he is constipated or obstipated.  Usually goats do well with hay as it goes to their rumen and then becomes soft there and then is chewed as cud and then goes back to the rumen for more mushing up and then heads through the intestines so by that time it usually goes through the system easily.  I think this incident was just caused by too much kelp that his system could not handle.  I do give kelp to our goats once in a while - this comes in flake form - usually no more than 1/4 to 1/2 cup of this per goat in the pen.  Re the mineral oil, that can cause diarrhea.  For sick stomachs/digestion in goats I usually use the milk of magnesia by itself if I think there is constipation involved or use pepto bismol type if I think the goat just ate too much of something he should not have or the poop looks soft and/or dog poop like.  Hope this helps - Donna  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres