Goats/Shedding

Question
My male 5 month old Nigerian Dwarf is shedding its hair.
when my wife petted him she ended up with hair in her hand.
How can shedding happen this time of the year?
the goat had worms really bad when it was younger (don't know exact age# we adopted him at 3.5 months.
two weeks ago we had fecal test done and he had coccidia and another worm #not sure which). vet had us treat with pill for coccidia and safeguard for worm for 5 days.

What is possible scenario with hair loss?

Answer
Hello - all goats have coccidia in their systems at all times - the diagnosis of coccidiosis would occur if there was green diarrhea.  Pre treating can create worm resistance.  If the goat has good poop pellets then that generally indicates no worm infestation.  I can give you my regimen for keeping worms away if you would like.  Now to your real question re shedding.  Sounds like he is selenium deficient.  Especially this time of year, if the goat is not up on selenium supplementation that can cause hair loss.  At 5 months old he would get three of the 200 mcg selenium tablets (human type) crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that added all the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsle and all the oil from an 800 IU capsule of vitamin D - mix well, cool and give as an oral drench.  Would repeat in 10 days.  You should see new hair growth in 10 days.  At this time of year goats should be getting their winter coats for the area they are in.  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres