Goats/sudden death

I had a 4-6 wk Boer goat whose mother rejected her and we were bottlefeeding her with Dumor milk replacer.  She was doing very well until this morning.  Last night she ate well and this morning she would only suck a couple times then wouldn't eat anything the rest of the day. By the end of the day she couldn't get up and she was hiccuping.  She died this evening.  I did check her temperature and it was 102 approximately an hour before she died.

Sorry to hear of the loss.  When did the mom reject this little doe?  It is possible the doeling had a pneumonia even without a fever.  Did she have any diarrhea? If so, what color. Was the mom up on her CDT toxoid vaccination, that is had she had a booster 4 weeks prior to the kidding?  Any brothers or sisters for this doeling?  Is the mom okay?  Was the mom also up on her seleneium/E/D?  Let me know and I will get back to you with a little more specific diagnosis possibilities.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County