Goats/udder in a kid.

Hi again ..for some reason i couldnt use follow up for your last response about my 2 week old kid with an udder. You said you had one also last year and udder etc normal now ..did udder just go or did it go when she was mated? (have just read this is the case).
Also her mother will sometimes come at me like she is going to butt me , and cant be trusted at all with other people..rears up and can butt people - is there a good way to deal with this? ( i will push her down onto the ground for a few seconds , but it doesnt seem to stop her from trying - and she is big so its not easy either!) Thanks!

The precocious udder went away within a year, without breeding.

I would get a spray bottle and spray her anytime she tries to butt. You can also do positive reinforcement with a clicker and some peanuts. Raising goats for dummies has a section on that.

Good luck with the meanie.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law