Goats/umbilical cord

Question
I had a doe deliver last night. One of the little ones seemed to have a very long cord so I tied floss around it and snipped. Now that I look again it may still be a little long and was wondering if I should just let it be. Do they need to be just born to snip it shorter or anytime??  Is there anything else i can dip it in? I dont have iodine

Answer
Hello - use of floss is great.  Yes, you can cut it shorter now, once the blood has stopped flowing in the cord, usually about an hour after birth, it is generally safe to cut it shorter - you can cut it so it is about two inches in length.  Dipping in another antiseptic would help - even dipping in a antiseptic soap solution would be okay.  Since dipping was not done immediately after birth I would watch the kid goat over the next day to two days for any signs of joint ill - fever, not looking well, not eating, difficulty walking.  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres