Goats/Baby goat with front leg pain

Question

I am new to goats and my vet just had to cancel my apt for this afternoon.  I have a 8 day old kid who just is not thriving at all.  His front two knees look swollen and he has a hard time getting off his knees.  He also walks like it hurts to do so.  After he was born one eye was closed shut.  The vet said to give him 1cc of penicillin every day for 3 days.  well, his eye is opened but very cloudy and he almost moves like he is blind in that eye.  I am wanting to give him something for pain and swelling.  Any ideas??  Thank you!

Answer
Did you dip his cord in iodine immediately after birth?  This usually helps keep joint ill away.  It sounds like he has joint ill - he needs 1/2 cc of penicillin intramuscularly twice a day for 5 days, along with aspirin (half of an  81 mg low dose human aspirin) every four hours for 2 days.  For the eye he needs NFZ puffer (usually available at many feed/farm stores) or terramycin eye ointment (again at feed/farm stores) twice a day for 5 days.  The aspirin will help with pain and swelling.  Is he eating okay?  Are you bottle feeding him? He should be kept inside in a small area, kept warm, and fed via a bottle.  Let me know - give me a call too - 360-742-8310  Donna

PS  Joint ill sometimes will not be taken care of by penicillin but I advise starting with that first.  If in 2 days he is not better with the above regimen then we would need to switch to injectable oxytetracycline which is also available at the feed/farm store usually as LA200 and this is 1 cc once a day for 5 days.  Let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres