Goats/Goat bedding

I have three goats and have always used wheat straw as bedding and for eating.  I was gonna buy some sort of heat lamp to keep them a little warmer this winter.  Tractor supply told me to buy cedar shavings instead of a fire hazard.  Now I read that cedar is dangerous for goats.  Is this true?

Cedar bedding can cause urinary infections so I suggest folks stay away from that for bedding.  How cold are we talking?  I generally use regular straw or grass hay as bedding and do use a heat lamp if it is extremely cold, for the kid goats, but with that said the heat lamp is up high and away from any possible "goat" nibbles.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County