Goats/goat throwing up?

Question
QUESTION: I have a 14 year old female that just recently started bringing up some chunks of hay? Not all of it and not her grain.  She had some clumpy stools so I gave her some Ivec IM thinking she needed to be wormed but intermittently still see that? Have given her some bicarb in her grain. Not sure if this is a mechanical problem?  She acts and looks fine.  Should I treat her Rumen  call a vet? My other goat doesn't seem to be having any issues and they haven't gotten in to anything.  thank you for any advice

ANSWER: First off I would like to suggest/advise not using Ivomec injectable at all for goats - it is hard on their systems and many times does not work.  I use oral horse wormers that work very well and would be happy to give you that information.

The clumpy stools can be from worms or dehydration or a change in diet.

Re the doe who seems to be having difficulty swallowing/chewing her hay - have you checked her teeth to see if she is missing some or perhaps has some sharp ones or partially missing ones? Many times with older goats their teeth begin to need help such as in horses so they can chew their food properly.   A vet should be able to check her teeth to be sure there are no issues there and if a tooth is sharp or uneven they could even float those teeth (as in horses).  

A goat with bronchitis/sore throat can also exhibit the same symptoms where they cannot really swallow the hay easily.  I would advise starting on injectable antibiotics if no teeth abnormalities are found.  Penicillin would work well at 3 cc/100 pounds of body weight twice a day for five days, and during this type probiotics must also be given.  I would also check her temperature to be sure an infection is not the cause of the symptoms - anything over 102.5 indicates an infection.  Is she drinking well?  If not this can also cause dehydration which then can cause obstipation, constipation, or just inability for the rumen to move the hay correctly.  

Is there any foam around her mouth with the hay chunks?  If so she could have gotten into something poisonous or toxic - depends where you are located what is growing now.  

You can also try some milk of magnesia 1/2 cup to 75 pounds of body weight every 4 hours for at least two doses to coat the rumen and give some digestive relief from possible toxins or just irritable rumen.  

Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna,
 Thank you for all the tips. Plan to get a temp today. I use Ivec only because in the past I used Fendabendazole and they always were positive for Strongyles.  So what else do you use?  I think I tried another one before too and it never seemed to really get to the problem.  
     Thanks   Ronna

Answer
Re worming, for 28 years and what I advise to at least start out with/try in folks' herds is the following.  Starting at age 2 months and every two months from then on you use Zimectrin horse wormer (Ivermectin) and Safeguard (fenbendazole) horse wormer - switching back and forth between the two wormers every 2 months.  You use twice the goat's weight to find the dosing on the plunger, set the lock and give orally - you always go with the higher amount - such as if a goat was 100 pounds you put the lock on the 250 measurement.  For kid goats up to about 9 months of age you can just use 1/2 inch of the wormer as the dosing.  You cannot overdose with either of these wormers.  You can keep leftovers in the fridge.  They are okay for all goats including pregnant does.  They work well in most of the U.S.  They are easy to give.  They work very well.  Re the fenbendazole, if you used the liquid goat wormer that does not always work well, especially if it is underdosed.  Hope that helps.  Let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres