Hi Donna , just an update on Maple , the little lamancha that wasn't eating . She , i'm pleased to say has made a full recovery and eating like a horse . Thanks for your help . I  do have a question , What can i feed my bucks to keep there weight up during the winter months ? Your not supposed to feed them grain because of urinurary problems . I have been giving some grain but don't like to .
         Merry Christmas .

Thanks for the update.  So glad to hear she is doing well - nice job.  Re the bucks - grain is fine for them - the issue is the calcium to phosphorus ratio which to keep urinary calculi away needs to be at least 2:1 and best is 3:1, along with giving them ammonium chloride every one or two weeks in their water supply to keep any stones from growing larger.  I use a general pelleted livestock feed for all my goats - this has a 3:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio for the bucks and wethers - I feed the bucks grain every other day during the breeding season/winter time.  Most feed/farm stores carry a "livestock" type grain which usually works well.  Any specialized "goat grain" usually is not correct for the bucks and wethers.  Another type of grain, although it does ot have as high a protein level as the livestock (that usually has 14% protein) is COB (corn, oats and barley) which has 9% protein but can give extra energy and fat to the bucks.  I generally use a 5% total amount of feed a day for the bucks with 1/4 to 1/3 of that being grain and the other being hay.  Hope that helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County