Goats/newborn baby goat

Question
QUESTION: I recently got a newborn baby goat, apparently his momma would take care of him. Anyway he is now 5 days old. I was told to feed him a mixture of 1 gal whole milk, 1can evap milk, 1 cup buttermilk mix at 8-10 oz at 3-7 days old 3x day, 12-14 oz at 1-2 wks old 3x day. when he came home he was fine, but he seems to have developed the scours and has a kinda cough/sneeze. He isnt acting weak or abnormal from what he was. He is still up walking and wanting to try to jump and learn to be playful and still wants his bottle. I backed off the milk and had found a recipe online for a homemade electrolyte formula of 1 qt water 2 tbsp light corn syrup 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda. I have been giving him that for almost 24 hrs, but still having scours and the cough/sneeze thing. What to do???? I have grown attached to him already and dont want to loose him!! Im trying very hard to help the little guy and bring him through it! i had contact back from another lady that said to go to the local co-op and get goat milk replacement, wormer,. and scour halt? I will be heading there this morning as soon as they open. Do you agree? Any advice? Monday morning I will be contacting the vet, but until then what to do??? I want to keep my little guy alive, and he seems to be hanging in there and giving it his best effort as I am for him. Please help! I need expert advice to get him through this, and have learned a great lesson about people who sell animals to people who just for the money with no regard for the animal or the people willing to care for it!!!!

Any advice and help would be so greatly appreciated!!
   Thanks, Carla

ANSWER: First, for any emergent calls please call me anytime at 360-742-8310.

What color are the scours?  Yellow is enterotoxemia, green is coccidiosis, white or cream is E. coli, and brown can be digestive upset or bacterial digestive infection.  Would assume he has pneumonia and for that would need injections of either penicillin at 1/2 cc twice a day for 3 days (feed store has these - you give this intramuscularly in the rear thigh legs - use of 22 gauge 1/2 to 3/4 inch length needle works well - once the needle is in the thigh you need to pull back on the plunger to be sure you are not in a vein - red color would come into the syringe - this can cause a fatal allergic reaction.  Would stop the milk formulas you are using - would advise starting with colostrum powder - bovine type at the feed store - mixing 1 teaspoon of this in an a.m. bottle and a p.m. bottle of multispecies milk replacer - feed stores have this too - would mix this milk replacer with electrolytes - Pedialyte type - no use of baking soda.  Do not overfeed any milk - at 5 days of age a kid should be getting 3 to 5 ounces (depends on the breed/size) every 4 hours.  Depending on the color of the diarrhea, I can get you a remedy for that.  Would also advise giving selenium dose - this is one 200 mcg selenium tablet crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and added to that half the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and half the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule, mix, cool, and give orally now and repeat in 2 days.  Would wait on wormer or scour halt.  Can give human pepto bismol to help with diarrhea - the dosage would depend on how big the kid goat is - let me know - Donna

QUESTION: the diarrhea is a yellowish color. im starting to get very overwhelmed! but i want so much to save the little guy! so if you could give me a list of what to go to the co-op to get and have on hand that would be great i will be heading in that way soon as they open. I am trying so hard to help the little guy, like i said he isnt seeming to act like he doesnt feel well.  Thanks again, Carla

ANSWER: Hi there - yellow would indicate enterotoxemia which unfortunately can be fatal sometimes - would get CDT toxoid vaccination from feed store and start the little guy on 1/2 cc subcutaneously or intramuscularly now and then another injection of same amount in 2 hours - this may help the little guy's small immune system get some antibodies made to fight this.  Because of the possibility of pneumonia, which sometimes goes along with the enterotoxemia, would start on the penicillin at the above dosage - if you do not want to give injections intramuscularly (this is the best way and second fastest way for us to give injections) then subcutaneous injections (tenting up the skin between the shoulder blades and using a small (22 gauge) short needle (3/4 to 1 inch is fine) place the needle under the skin in the largest portion of the tent (middle to low) and push in medicine.  Would also use colostrum powder added to multi species milk replacer (or if you have true goat milk available that would work well too) as his milk - is he drinking okay from a bottle? Would suggest use of Pritchard teat (yellow band with red nipple) as these are the easiest and best for kid goats - use of the black lamb nipples is not advised.  Pedialyte needed to use as mixer (plain/unflavored) for the milk replacer and/or colostrum.  Pepto bismol for diarrhea control and coating of the stomach.  Digital thermometer to take rectal temp.  Would also keep him warm - I take it you have him in the house already.  

So, you would need:
CDT toxoid injection for goats
Multispecies milk replacer or regular goat milk
Colostrum powder
22 gauge 3/4 to 1 inch length needles
3 cc syringes
Penicillin
Pritchard teats if possible
All of the above items should be available at your feed/farm store

Regular stores - human type items:
Pedialyte type electrolytes
Pepto bismol
Selenium 200 mcg dose tablets
Vitamin E 1000 IU capsules
Vitamin D 800 IU capsules
Digital thermometer

Let me know - Donna - I should ask where you are - if you were close to me Olympia, WA you could bring the little guy over for a check.

QUESTION: I am in southern oregon (roseburg) I wish I were close, help would be so nice! I will be heading into get these things soon. how long until i start seeing results if this works? And with the pepto how much? he cant be more than few pounds. you have been so helpful, i will try this and let you know soon. i'm sure i will be in touch with you several times over next few days. Thanks, Carla

p.s. i may even try calling you after abit when i head into town, phones are terrible where we are for clarity right now.

Answer
Thanks for the update - yup, sorry you're not closer, but hang in there.  Re the pepto, would only give one teaspoon every 2 hours for three doses and see if that helps with the diarrhea.  Use of the 3 cc syringes (without the needle of course) works well as an oral dosing syringe for such little goat kids.  I would hope to see improvement in about 8 to 10 hours after you start items - may be sooner improvement for smaller kid goats.  Yes, please feel free to give me a call anytime - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres