Goats/Newborn Pygmy Goat

Question
Our vet just performed a c-section on a very young doe having a baby. The mom is not with it, of course, and the baby keeps nudging  the teets. We just bought some goat colustrum from the farm store. Should we attempt to feed it ourselves or keep encouraging it to suckle at this point? It was born about 2 hours ago.

Thank you!

Answer
Many times the mom will not take the kid back after a C-section.  So be prepared for that.  I would start bottle feeding the little one - powdered colostrum is great - follow directions on label - this should be 1 ounce every 1 to 2 hours for the first day of life, then by the 2nd day up to 2 or 3 ounces, depending on how large the kid is.  If you can use of Pritchard teats - yellow band with red teat - works best for goat kids - many farm/feed stores carry these.  If not would suggest human premie baby nipple and bottle.  Would advise against use of lamb nipples - these are the large black nipples.  You will need to keep the kid inside and warm, a small fox or dog crate would do - since this is a single, adding a stuffed animal in there with it will help it feel more secure.  I would wait on milking the mom for at least 96 hours so all anesthetics and other medications are out of her system.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres