Goats/Re: Migi Update

Good Evening Donna,
U know yesterday morning i gave Migi his regular vitamin b-complex & his usual probiotic paste but excluded the DURAMYCIN & and he seemed a tad better today so i was wondering if i was over giving the DURAMYCIN B/c before i was giving him that he was fine. The only reason i was giving it to him was b/c of the weather change it was so so windy/raining/cold. & like u said it should only be given as a preventative for only several days so maybe i overdosed him w/the DURAMYCIN would that be a possibility? Hes still not eating much of his snack food just a little hay here/& there. Also Donna he refuses to come in at night he likes to stay outside but i don't like the idea of him staying out at night b/c of the cold air. So is it okay for him to stay out at night when its cold? Do they like it b/c its cool? If its okay for him then thats fine with me. I'm just afraid that he'll catch a cold and come down with PNEUMONIA OR BRONCHITIS. I know the weather is nothing compared to your weather over there but all this time its been nice & warm here then all of a sudden it gets cold at night & i'm not use to him staying out all night outside. What do u think let me know. Thanks Donna

Me & Migi

So, over doing antibiotics can sometimes upset their digestive tract.  If you think he is ill or coming down with a pneumonia then you could give 5 days worth of duramycin and then stop and wait for 5 days to see how he is doing.  Most goats like to stay outside - gets more fresh air that way - so if he wants to stay out and he has a shelter to go into outside that's fine.  Our goats love sleeping outside and even outside of their shelters many times - even when it is in the 20s (not raining though) I will find them curled up outside of their shelters.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County