Goats/Re: Trimming of hooves

Good Afternoon Donna,
Update on Migi - Last night i gave a little more that 1/3 cup of MOM & haven't givin anymore his poop is starting to get back to normal still dog like berrie clumps however he is still eating, drinking, & peeing normally. However i just took notice of Migis hooves at times he walks clumsy and i think its due to the fact that his back leg hooves are long i mean one side of his nail hoof is longer than the other same as for the other back leg  how am i suppose to trim them. I know i will have a hell of a time trying to cut away all that and with what kind of tools do i need. Oh boy this will be challenging. I knew this time was coming when i would have to do it. I was looking at pictures of hoof trimming & i'm afraid it won't be easy b/c my nephew moved out so i'm on my own again Whew!!!!! If u could tell me what i will need and how to trim them it would be very helpful. Thanks Donna!

Me & Migi

Hoof trimming should be done every 6 to 8 weeks forever.  Really a good pair of straight blade garden trimmers will work well.  Your objective is to trim down the walls until they are flat with the hoof pad itself.  If the hoof walls are overgrown it may take you several times of trimming the walls down a little at a time every few days - goat hooves are like dog claws - there is a blood supply and if overgrown that blood supply is far away from the hoof pad, so you trim a little every few days as the blood supply shrinks back towards the area of the hoof pad.  You will have to somehow secure Migi so that you can pick up one hoof at a time.  Hope this helps - Donna

You know, you might think about calling the local 4H/cooperative extension office - there should be some goat project youngsters who could help you learn how to trim the hooves - should be in the phone book under county extension office.  Try that.  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County