Goats/going into season after miscarriage

QUESTION: I have a Nubian doe who I thought was almost 2 months pregnant.  The other day she got in a tussle with my other doe and several hours later she started passing this long stringy kind of brownish stuff.  I thought she might be aborting so I put her in a pen by herself.  The next day she was passing some clear and pinkish and sometimes a bit bloody, discharge.  My question is could she go back into season that quickly after aborting or could she not have been pregnant at all?  She is 3 years old and has kidded before but this is our first kidding with her.  She really wants to go with our buck and I really want her to get pregnant but I am not sure it is a good idea if she did abort.  Is is possible that she is just having a lot of discharge because she is in season?  Any info would be appreciated.

ANSWER: The amount of discharge you are describing is definitely not normal for just being in heat. It is possible she just has an intrauterine infection and was not pregnant, but it sounds like she was pregnant and lost the fetus some time ago.   I would assume that she is aborting or has aborted.  The brownish colored discharge could be an indication of an infection or necrotic tissues from a dead fetus that is just now being aborted.  You certainly could see if she would stand for the buck.  I would advise treating with injectable antibiotics - penicillin would be my choice - for a 5-day course just to cover for possible intrauterine infection.  If you do start the penicillin you will also need to give her probiotics during that time period.  Is she otherwise eating and drinking normally, peeing and pooping normally?  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

QUESTION: She is acting normal....peeing pooping eating etc. she is SERIOUSLY in season if you know what I mean.  She won't go in for the night and I have to fight to get her into the barn and then she just sits in there and yells for a while.  The usual behavior for a girl feeling frisky. She would probably stand for him if I put them together but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea if she just abouted. I have some penicillin but not probiotics on hand so I will run to town tomorrow to get some before I start her on antibiotics.  As for the penicillin should I give it once a day or twice a day and how much should I give her?  I really appreciate your help I haven't had a sick goat in a very long time and I tend to fret when one of my girls seems off.

Thanks for the info. Her behavior certainly sounds like she is in serious heat. If this is just a miscarriage with no infection then she probably would do fine with breeding, that is the egg could probably implant fine.  If there is an infection, I doubt the egg would implant anyway.  Re the penicillin, dosing is 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days - this should be an intramuscular injection - rear thighs work well - 20 gauge 3/4 inch to 1 inch needle works well.  Re intramuscular injections, not sure if you have done these before, but you need to draw back just a bit on the plunger to be sure you are not in a vein (red color will come into the barrel) as goats can be allergic to antibiotics in their veins.  If she is a hard one to catch, you could give one injection a day just to cover for an infection - as she may not have an infection, the discharge could just have been from the miscarriage.  Re probiotics, I use human yogurt, mix about two tablespoons in a little water and draw up in an oral dosing syringe and give orally once a day, or perhaps she might just lick it off the spoon for you too.  Hope this helps.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County