QUESTION: What do u mean by oral antibiotics?  Examples?  Yes his is nibbling a little on grass and hay at this point but not a whole lot yet.

ANSWER: Oral antibiotics given orally/by mouth instead of the injectable, such as the Sulmet (liquid) tetracycline, terramycin, duramycin (which are powdered) are examples. Most all are available at feed stores.  Didn't know if you had other livestock antibiotics around/available to you - I even use these on my dogs and cats.  Re the nibbling on grass and hay, it is possible that the green color is coming from the grass and hay ingestion.  Hope that is all it is.  I know you're watching him carefully.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Ok I finally got the sulmet for baby zee! As of today his poop is still the same. Runny but not like water. I gave the sulmet full strength @ 1ml per 5 pds. What is the next step? Do I give it more than once and should I add it to all drinking water?

Hi there - per an e-mail earlier, " I always advise folks to keep Sulmet on hand just in case - if the store does not have that, CoRid powder will work too.  I even use the Sulmet on all my kid goats as a preventative against pneumonia and coccidiosis - 1.5 ml per 15 pounds (yup, not much at all) once a day for 7 days, off two weeks, back on for 7 days, off two weeks, until they are about 3 months of age" - so would continue as above with the Sulmet oral - I do not add it to the drinking water - I use it as an oral drench which directs the medication to where it is needed and you never know if they are getting the dose they need just from the drinking water.  Adding the Sulmet to a sweet flavoring makes it more easy for the kid to take.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County