Goats/Zee is stiff

Question
I went out this morning as usual to find Zee laying on hib belly screaming. It seems his front legs are a bit stiff but after I brought him inside and really looked he can bend them just cant put weight on them and get up. Can barely move but did get 3 oz milk in him.  What to do?

Answer
Did he get his cord dipped in iodine immediately after birth?  I think you had said no and were going to dip it in something else later on and I had talked about possible joint ill - so think this is what it is - would take his temperature - anything over 102.5 would indicate an infection-use of penicillin or LA200 injectable - would use the penicillin as the LA200 can cause skeletal abnormalites in young kid goats.  Both of these are available at feed stores - penicillin would be 1/2 cc twice a day for 5 days or 1/2 cc once a day every other day for 5 doses.  Both of these should be given intramuscularly - have you done this before?  You must draw back on the plunger to be sure you are not in a vein.  Would start him on aspirin at 1/2 of a low dose (81 mg) aspirin - crushed and dissolved in a little hot water - give orally once every four hours until fever is down and/or he seems less stiff.  Let me know - give me a call if you'd like - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres