Goats/bailey update

QUESTION: Went out this morning to do my checks and thought I would give an update.  I really don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I'm doing it right or not.
Zee and Chester seem to be doing well as far as actions. I'm on the 3rd day of sulmet but it seems like their poop is dog looking logs ( soft like) on minute and then followed by dark pudding like poop. I m giving them 2 cc sulmet is that enough.

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  Sometimes kid goats once they are off re digestive issues it is difficult to get them back to normal easily.  Usual dose of sulmet is the 3 cc/25 pounds body weight, so 1.5 cc/12.5 pounds body weight twice a day.  Did we talk about adding probiotics - yogurt or powder or gel? to their diet each day - if not, I would start that - I use yogurt and mix one teaspoon in a little water and give orally once a day while on antibiotics.  Changes in feed and weather can also cause digestive issues.  Do other goats have normal pellets for poop? If so, this may not be worms, but you can still start on oral horse wormer at 2 months of age if you'd like.  The fact that they act like nothing is wrong is a good thing.  Don't kick yourself - I've been at the raising kid business for 27 years and it still amazes me that kids can become ill after all the loving care I give them.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Letting u know that Zee and Chester are doing much better. I did have another question. I have had little Bailey in the house since about 10 hrs old. Inside it stayes between 67 to 70 degrees. Today it got up in the 60's here in WV so I took her out for a bit to get to know the herd.She just loved it.  My question is when can I turn her out and not worry about being sick. If is going to be in the high 40's tonight, would u suggest putting her out? and would she gradually adjust as it gets colder next week without getting pnemonia?  I hate that she is stuck inside when she could be playing with the other babies.

ANSWER: Thanks so much for the update.  It was a great idea to let Bailey out for a bit.  But I would not chance it in letting her stay out all night even in a warmer stall - would not start letting her out over night for at least another 7 days - know it can be hard but it's easier to keep a kid goat healthy than it is to get it back from being ill.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Ok She was born on the first so she is going on 2 weeks. I should wait until atleast 3 weeks? And what sort of temps.am I looking for outside to make the transition?  Cant promise we will get these high temps again for a while but I would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks

I keep the kid goats inside the house from birth to 7 days and then I put them in a horse trailer just outside our garage that has two heat lamps in there (temp stays at about 75 even at night when 20 degrees outside) - they stay in here for another two weeks and then at that time I start letting them stay down at the barn in a larger stall during the day (with a heat lamp) but bring them back in at night for another week - usually by the fourth week they have acclimated to stay in the barn with a heat lamp - the barn is not insulated but they are in a large stall and I would say the temp in there with the heat lamp is between 55 and 60 at night time.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County