QUESTION: I have a nanny goat that is breeding every day. she also acts like a billy around the other nannies trying to ride them and work them up just like a billy. I bought her about 5 months ago, and she has done this the whole time. she has a dry udder as if she has had kids before. QUESTOIN? Can this nanny have and raise kids, or does she have some kind of hormoneal inbalance? Thank you.

ANSWER: How old is the doe? A hormonal imbalance is certainly a possibility.  When was she last bred/had kids? What breed is she?  Does she have a beard?  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: I guess the doe to be about 8 years old. She is boer crossbred. I do not know when she last had kids, only that she has before by looking at her udder. She does not have a beard. Thankyou for any information/advice you can give.

It is possible that at her 8 years of age her hormones are off cycle - perhaps trying Pulsatilla, which sometimes helps hormones come back in strength and regularity, could help.  This is a homeopathic medicine - 5 pellets orally (you can either dissolve them in a little hot water and then cool the solution and give that orally or place the five pellets in her mouth - they are very small) once and then again in two hours and you may repeat on day two, and again in a few weeks if you see some change in her attitude/behavior/less bucky.  She may also be deficient in selenium, which helps keep the reproductive cycles going correctly.  I use human selenium tablets - for adult goats this is ten of the 200 mcg tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, and add to that all the oil from a 1000 IU capsule of vitamin E and all the oil from an 800 IU capsule of vitamin D (both D and E are needed to help the selenium work correctly).  This is given once and then again in two weeks.  Is her hair coat thinner/less thick than the other goats?  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

PS Selenium mixture and Pulsatilla can be given during the same time period.

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County