Goats/coughing goat

My pregnant goat started coughing today. She is also breathing a little heavey. That should I do.

Get a vet to prescribe some naxcel. Is she bottle feeding? Make sure she is eating and drinking well. Take her temp before you call a vet. If you cannot call a vet or take her in and get some syringes, procaine penicillin, and give at a rate of twice a day, subcutaneous in neck o,r above front armpit twice a day at a rate of 5 cc per 100 lb. keep her warm, and make a little jacket if needed out of a fleece blanket or old sweatshirt. Good luck. I hope she quickly improves.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law