Goats/follow up to baby goat Sam not pooping

Question
Hi Donna,

Sam, our new little kid seems to be doing very well in every area except pooping on his own.  I tried making the adjustments to the milk replacer that you suggested, using only half the amount of goat's milk and I have added mineral oil to his bottles.  So far the only way I have been able to get him to poop is to take his temperature rectally, that stimulates him and he poops almost immediately.  The poop looks like it should, soft mushy yellowish version of adult poop.  Will he eventually start doing this on his own?  Suggestions?  

Otherwise he is doing very well, his temps are always right at 102.5 and he is eating well, playing and trying to climb on everything. :)

As always, thank you so much for your help!

Answer
Thanks for the update.  I would dilute his milk replacer to 1/2 the amount of milk replacer for two days and see how he does re pooping.  You can also use a human baby enema once or twice a day for a few days to see if you clean the rectum out - perhaps it's just stacked in there and difficult to evacuate on his own.  

The good news is that he is eating well, playing and climbing - all good signs.  Temp is good too.  

I usually try the dilution technique first - adding the mineral oil also and then if this helps him start pooping on his own, start going back slowly to normal amount of water to milk replacer.  

Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres