Goats/Goat in Labor

QUESTION: It appeared to me that last Thursday our goat was beginning labor. She had separated herself from the herd.She had 4 or 5 discharges of mucus and blood over several hours. Was not really pawing or breathing hard. She seemed to be having some contractions and sort of pushing. Nothing looked like it was coming out. Watched her all day all night. Nothing. Friday colder and raining - no change. Sat, Sun,Mon same. She is eating, drinking and does not appear to be having contractions. It is now Tuesday evening. What do you suggest i do??
thanks you very much.

ANSWER: Did you feel her pelvic ligaments? Are her pelvic ligaments now gone or were they gone and back again?  Have her sides dropped?  How much mucous and blood are we talking about?  A little mucous would be the mucous plug.  But, the blood might say there was a uterine tear or a placenta previa.  Can you feel the kids pushing?  Do you have a kidding date for her?  Is this her first kidding?  The pelvic ligaments would tell you if she was close to kidding then and/or soon?  No more blood or mucous coming out?  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: A little mucus and a little blood. Her kidding date is This past weekend. Her 3rd kidding with us. She had trouble with her first kidding with us we did have to go in a pull the babies out. Last kidding was fine. I am going to check her ligaments now. Thank you. Cathy

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  It's possible the blood is from the kids pushing around inside and the mucous was the mucous plug.  So, this past weekend was 150 days for her? If so, she can go as far out as 165 days and still be normal.  Is she up to date on her selenium/vitamin E and D? Sometimes if they are deficient in selenium/E/D their hormones just aren't strong enough to get labor going well.  You may also have a breech kid inside her at the front of the pack, and that would need to be helped out most likely - breech kids don't get the uterine contractions going well.  I generally only give the does 20 minutes of hard pushing with no progress and then I go in and see what's what.  Glad you have pulled babies out before.  The good thing is that she is eating and drinking well.  If you see more blood that might indicate a placenta previa, which would mean as soon as she starts pushing you should go in and get kids so the placenta does not come out first and you lose kids.  Were you able to feel the babies move? Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Again, thanks so much for your advice. My friend just came over, she is the one who pulled her babies out 2 years ago. She stuck her hand up inside - but not far because it would not go. I think Butterscotch is not quite ready to give birth. I will look for harder labor/contractions and go from there.I was just concerned that she might have dead babies inside but reading your answer I am thinking she was never in hard labor last week. Thanks so much for your help and I will keep you informed. Cathy

Thanks for the update.  I would advise not going inside her unless her pelvic ligaments are completely gone - keeping infection away is important at this point.  You can give her oral selenium (ten of the 200 mcg tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water) and then mix with all the oil from a 1000 IU capsule of vitamin E and all the oil from an 800 IU capsule of vitamin D, cool, mix again and give orally.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County