Goats/Goat that sounds sick

Question
I have a fainting goat that has been acting funny.  I bought two of them last spring and the one died a month or so ago.  She was never a very strong one, quiet and sweet  but she seemed delicate.   We came out one morning and she had died over night.  No idea what really happened but the way she was we weren't really surprised.  After that happened this one that I am writing to you about, wouldn't come out and do much at all.  We figured she was depressed.  She would eat and drink if we put it in the hutch for her though.  After awhile she came around but now a couple weeks later she is back to staying in the hutch while everyone is out eating.  She will eat and drink if I take the food in there. There is maybe a little big of "crusties" around her nose.. otherwise as she is eating and standing there nothing looks too much off.  What is odd is when she calls out it sounds rough and then when she draws her breath back in then its more like a strong wheeze.. but at no other time.. It sounds rough.  She stands a little bunched up but she tends to do that some as she always has had feet issues from day one that are really sensitive, so she developed a way of standing that makes it hard to tell...

Any ideas would be good.  Being a Sunday all i have around that i have around for medicine is Norocillin ( sterile penicillin G Procaine)  I haven't given her anything because I didn't know if goats can have that or what way to give it and how much.  She probably weighs 75 pounds or so I think.  I didn't get a temperature as i couldn't find the thermometer... ( kids!) Also, there is a chance she is pregnant.  The weather here is in the teens during the day and colder at night. Although we just last week had a spell of weather in the 30's where it got pretty damp out when the snow was melting.  Just throwing out any details I can think of that may help.

Thanks!
Kelly

Answer
Sounds like it could be a pneumonia, that is also what the other could have passed from.  Anytime a goat is not looking well and not eating as it should and the weather is not good or there are stresses around, pneumonia can easily take hold.  Norocillin is fine - 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days.  Intramuscular injection is best using a 20 gauge 3/4 to 1 inch needle - you must draw back on the plunger once the needle is in to be sure you are not in a vein (the short needle helps circumvent that too) where red coloration would come into the barrel.  Goats are allergic to antibiotics in their venous system.  Along with the antibiotic she also will need probiotics to keep her rumen healthy - yogurt is fine at two teaspoons a day - mixed in a little water and given orally works well or if you have probiotic powder that is fine too.  If she is not eating as well as you'd like would also start on vitamin B complex with thiamin - this is human type - 4 tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water given twice a day until eating better.  Giving her extra bedding to try to stay out of the cold would help.  Keeping her hydrated is important too - on cold days warm molasses water is helpful - 1/4 cup molasses to one quart of warm water - at least twice a day.  The antibiotic and other items will not hurt the kids if she is pregnant.  You might also think about bringing her into the garage with a heat lamp to keep her a little warmer than outside.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres