Goats/goat trauma

Question
A dog got through my fences, killing my precious pygmy goat and injuring my 225 lb Nubian goat. (both pets and constant companions). His injuries should not be life threatening--scratches on his side---and some sort of hind leg pain (no marks).  He will not get up on his own, is eating very little now, and drinks even less.  He has now been down six days.  I have given him B-12 injections, pain killers, steroids....anything to make him feel better. Hand feeding and water with syringes has become impossible.My question is at what point or what signs will indicate that he will never get up.  I do not want to put him down prematurely, but I do not want him to suffer. I fell the horror of seeing his best friend killed has destroyed his spirit and his will to live. Please advise.

Thank you

Answer
Sorry for the delay in answering - I would start him on Arnica Montana - this is a homeopathic remedy for trauma.  Also, Pulsatilla, another homeopathic remedy for stress.  Does she have a fever?  Anything over 102.5 would indicate an infection/fever.  If she has no fever, she may have come down with a pneumonia due to the stress on her immune system - penicillin would help with that.  Would keep him on B complex with thiamin - I use the human vitamins - four times the human dose twice a day crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and given as an oral drench - B 12 will not help in this situation.  Aspirin really is best for pain and discomfort - one 325 mg human aspirin (again crushed and dissolved in water) per 150 pounds body weight every four hours until the goat seems better.  Will need to orally drench with electrolytes and would add a mash made of baby rice cereal mixed with hot water and add to it molasses or another sweetener and if you have them alfalfa or rabbit feed pellets crushed to a powder in a blender - mix all well together and thin enough to orally drench about 1/2 cup every 4 hours or so.  Keeping him in a warm area too.  Re the homeopathic remedies above - 5 pellets into the mouth once and then again in 2 hours and repeated again the next day - or you can dissolve in hot water and again orally drench to be sure he is getting all of it.  I would hope that starting on the above you would see an improvement in 24 hours, small but at least getting better.  Trying to ghet him to stand and switching him to either side and massaging his body will  help with circulation.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres