Goats/Mange in goats

Question
Mange?
Mange?  
I have a doe that I recently purchased that has some blisters on her utter. I have attached a picture. I have been keeping her clean and do think from what I have read that it is mange, but do you know what I should do to immediately treat a case of mange that is this severe.  The doe may have been bred two weeks ago(They were in with the buck and have not come back into heat)so I am also concerned with finding a treatment that can be given to a potentially pregnant goat.

Answer
This does not look like mange.  These lesions look like Staph infection of the udder created after an allergic reaction to new bedding, or new item put on the udder or a plant in the pasture.  Would start treatment with children's benadryl - would use 1 teaspoon if doe is about 50-75 pounds and 2 teaspoons if the doe is between 100 and 200 pounds.  What breed of goat is this - Saanen? You can use a regular measuring tape to measure the heart girth of the goat (behind the front legs) and then go online to goat weight chart site and find the approximate weight. Would use twice a day for 3 days.  Since this looks like a Staph infection people can pick up the Staphyloccus bacteria so using gloves and/or washing your hands very well after treating is important.  Would wash the udder twice a day with either antibacterial hand soap or a surgical scrub.  Rinse, dry, and use either BluKote spray or an antibacterial lotion (horse/livestock) all over the udder.  Would keep in her own pen if possible so she does not pass on this infection to others. I would also treat her internally with an antibiotic.  I would recommend penicillin at 3 cc/100 pounds twice a day for 5 days or LA200 at 4.5 cc/100 pounds body weight once every other day for 5 doses. Either of these should be given intramuscularly - have you given injections before?  Both of the antibiotics and syringes and needles (20 gauge 3/4 to 1 inch length needles) are available at most feed stores.  If you do not want to go with injectable antibiotics I would at least start her on oral antibiotics - either Sulmet or Duramycin, or tetracycline which are again available at most feed/farm stores.  I can give you the doseages needed when you tell me which you are going to use.  Is she eating and drinking well?  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

As to being possibly pregnant, a goat's heat cycle is every 17 to 21 days so you have a number of more days left before she could return in heat.  But, with that said, none of the above items should hurt the kids.  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres