Goats/Mange treatment??

QUESTION: At least I think that's what it is.
I have two Nigerian dwarf goats about 3-4 years old (we've only had them for 2 yrs and are new goat parents) a wether and female. A little over a week ago I noticed bald, flaky, scabby spots with some small open sore spots, on the front legs of Buck the wether, near the hooves. Upon further inspection I also noticed a couple bald spots on Rosey too ( looks like scratching spots from her horns). After researching, I thought maybe mites or lice. This is how I treated for both;
~Diluted hydrogen peroxide/ water mix and squirted on affected areas, dried( but did not try to remove any scabbing, or rub loose any skin)
~3-4cc of Valbazen dewormer orally( they were last dewormer at end of summer with Safeguard dewormer orally).
~applied ivomecin pour on 3-4cc against skin dotted along spine.
~spread DE throughout stall, and applied directly on affected areas.
~changed their salt/mineral block ( which they were really eating) to loose free choice goat mineral.
~Living conditions; good size barn, their stall 4x8, fully enclosed, dirt floor. Deep bedding method for the winter, hay bedding is dry, but a couple areas around the edges can get muddy. Right now it is 20deg daytime and 1 deg at night- I'm a little worried about Buck's balding feet getting frostbite, freezing or not being able to heal because it's so cold.

Well it's a week later and my problem is, it looked a little better after 1-2 days but now it looks worse. The red soar spots are back and the white scabbiness looks like it spreading up his leg (Rosey has no change). Also he looks kind of lame as he walks, either from the mange or being too cold on his bald spots.

I am very confused, so many different treatments and I have already given them stuff, I don't want to over medicate. I was thinking of re-treating with the ivermectin pour on (or is it too soon?), re-treat with the valbenzen in 21 days, antibacterial wash for areas and either blu-kote or antibacterial cream couple times a day (should I try to cover it for protection?). Maybe put some tetracycline in their water in case a staph develops in the open sores. And for good measure and stress maybe a Power drench?

I know this is lengthy, but I want to clear this up quick before it gets out of control i would say 20% of his lower front legs around the hooves and up behind his knees are balding, scabby and sore. I am so worried for his poor feet (

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  Any pour on is not advised for goats as it can be toxic to them and/or cause reactions - this was made for sheep and cattle who have a lot slower metabolisms.   It sounds like some of the open wounds/sores could possibly be Staph infections - you could try oral treatments but if the sores are at the extremities sometimes that is not enough to do and injectable antibiotics are needed.  But, if you want to try the oral I would give it via oral drench and not in the water as then you know how much everyone is getting/the correct dose.  You can use any of the oral antibiotics available - if you use one of the powders it is 1 teaspoon twice a day for 5 days.  I also like Sulmet liquid as an oral antibiotic and its dose is 1.5 cc per 15 pounds body weight.  Whichever you choose, I would mix in with apple juice or small amount of other sweetened liquid as these all taste quite horrid mixed in plain water.  

I do like to use Blu-kote as it dries the areas and gives a protective cover yet still allows air to circulate into the wounds.  You can also use something called NFZ puffer, which is an antibiotic powder that is "puffed" onto the open sores.  You can also use tea tree oil to help soothe the sores and help them heal - but do not use all three together.    

Since you will also need to give probiotics during the oral antibiotic treatment would also add some sort of immune enhancer - vitamin C, zinc, vitamin D3 mixed in a little of the power drench to help strengthen the immune systems.  

For the one goat who has it the worst, I would advise starting him on an injectable antibiotic to get the antibiotics to the large amount of area you are talking about.  Would also give him 1/2 of a 325 mg human aspirin per 75 pounds body weight twice a day to help with inflammation, pain, stiffness.  

Hope this helps - Donna

Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Oh thank you! I am headed to the store this morning and admin later today. I know you recommended the sulmet, but I already have the tetracycline, I think I will try that first. I think he weights around 80lbs would I still give 1tsp mix with juice orally twice a day/ 5 days??
Also, a far as getting the mange under control, what other treatment should I give to rid them of mites? There are so many options powders, spray, shots, dips ....And can I use them in conjunction with blu-kote, should I wah whith iodine first too??

Tetracycline is fine, and yes 1 teaspoon twice a day for 5 days.  Re mange under control, really the livestock/poultry dust is best for goat and bedding along with Zimectrin horse wormer.  Re the Blukote, yes, you first wash the affected areas of sores with iodine or other antibacterior soap, rinse, dry, and put on the Blu kiote, and then dust the goat.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County