Goats/antibiotics

Question
QUESTION: Hi there! Lisl continues to show the 7-day heat cycles and I am starting to notice some discharge - not dripping specifically from the vagina, but that the area around her tail always seems wet - maybe a bit yellowish in color. I was doing some research and read about metritis in goats. I found an article by someone named Sue Reith (not sure if you are familiar). She said that does can get the infection the previous season and not shown signs until the following fall with this short cycling problem. I was wondering if I could have caused the infection during the insemination procedure last year (although I was super diligent about the antiseptic procedure). In the article, she mentioned treating it by basically "inseminating" her with oxytetracycline during her next standing heat. She said that if you didn't do this you would risk losing her to your breeding program. Does this sound familiar to you at all? Or probable? Because I have done the insemination procedure before, I could technically do that treatment. Although if it is just a matter of fixing it for this particular breeding season, that is not that important to me. If she does have metritis and there is a treatment that would be easier on her and have her infection treated by next fall, I would prefer that. The only puzzling thing to me is that she is not acting sick. She still has her appetite, she is not acting lethargic, as I would expect if she had an infection/fever, etc. Thanks so much for your help.

ANSWER: Hi there - I thought we had discussed a possible intrauterine infection - metritis is that - this could be bacterial or it could be Chlamydial.  The discharge certainly is a symptom of an intrauterine infection.  I would not treat intravaginal treatments.  I would use either penicillin at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days or LA200 at 4.5 cc per 100 pounds body weight every other day for 5 doses.  Either of these should be given intramuscularly where you draw back on the plunger once the needle is in to be sure you are not in a vein.  Use of the thigh muscles is best with a 20 gauge 3/4 to 1 inch needle.  Hope this helps - Donna.

QUESTION: Thanks so much for your quick response! I'm sorry, but I don't remember. I am sure that I probably just missed it! I will go ahead and order the LA200 - I think Lisl will do better with the less frequent doses. Is Chlamydia a type of yeast infection? Is it possible that she could get a yeast infection from the antibiotics as people do? Didn't know if you could give that probiotic yogurt as a precaution? Thanks as always!

ANSWER: Hi there - Chlamydia is a specialized fungal infection usually through breeding.  Probiotics will not keep them from getting that when on antibiotics.  But, with that said, probiotics must be given during any antibiotic therapy to keep their rumen running well.  Yogurt, gel or powder form work well every day they are on antibiotics.  Donna

QUESTION: I do so appreciate your help.

So I've given L'isl 2 of the 5 doses of the LA200 and she is on the probiotics. It does seem to be working already - the wetness around her tail is gone. I am really happy to see that. The only thing is that the injections seem to be so traumatic for her. I am using a harness to keep her still, but she gets so upset. I've been making sure to draw back, but the last time she jerked her leg suddenly and it bled a little afterward. I cleaned it with an alcohol swab. She wouldn't stop trembling for about 10min afterward. She ate her grain, but then ignored her favorite treat this evening (I give them little pieces of oat and honey granola). I'm not sure if the antibiotics are upsetting her stomach even with the probiotics. With 3 doses left to go, I am just wondering if there is a way to make it easier on her. I remember when we used to bring my golden retriever to the vet (he had a horrible time getting blood drawn), we would give him a sedative a few hours beforehand. Does anyone do this for goats? Is there something similar - and do you think it would be worth it, or should we just grin and bear it?

Answer
Thanks for the update.  Unfortunately LA200 and many of the long acting antibiotics sting.  If you want to try subcutaneous injections you could - if you are able to find enough loose skin to tent between the shoulder blades and if you are sure the needle goes under the skin and not into it.  What size needles are you using? 20 gauge 3/4 to 1 inch length are the biggest needed for goats.  There are some calming agents out there - a homeopathic one called Pulsatilla calms the goats nicely with no chemicals.  These are available at supplement/natural food stores usually.  Let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres