Goats/neighbor baby goat

Question
Hi Donna, I'm the one taking care of my neighbors baby goat... He is still alive and notice him trying to nibble on some hay today... It is still very cold here, but I think I've got the hut draft free... The little guy still has the swollen ears ,from frost bite.. I have a sock on them still, seems to at least keep them warm... I have been putting the antibiotic ointment on his ears and the one foot that had frost bite, seems to have helped...I have still been giving the Durmycin-10 once a day...I what to say thanks so much for your help! I couldn't have done this without it... Hopefully, he will continue to get better...If by chance I can get some penicillin, is there a certain kind or strength should I give and how much and how long.. The thigh mussel, which direction, the back of the thigh or the side of the thigh?

Answer
Thanks for the update.  Nice to hear the little guy is still with us.  It may take many weeks for you to see even the smallest improvement in the affected parts.  Re the penicillin, I use Penicillin G or Pen-aqueous (a number of types available at the feed store) I usually get the 150,000 unit and then use 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day - if there is 300,000 unit, you can use 1 to 1.5 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day.  This is usually dosed for kid goats to 3 days but can go up to 5 days or more for serious infections.  Usually within 1 to 2 days improvement is seen.  Re the thigh muscle, the back of the thigh, squeezing gently to get some muscle in between fingers and then using the 22 gauge 1/2 inch needle injecting (after pulling back on the plunger to be sure you are not in a vein).  For both the oral and injectable antibiotics you have to continue giving probiotics to keep the rumen healthy.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

PS - Again, you're a great person for taking your time and helping this little fellow.  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres