Goats/Newborn goat

Question
Born yesterday, very weak, has only stood for a moment, held so he could suck on mom. Then had to feed with syringe.  Made it through the night but is declining fast. Tubed him to get something in him with nutidrench and colostrum. Went back out couple hours later and he is still breathing but had a lot of mucus around mouth and shallow breathing.  Had my dad tube him because he has experience with it. What can I do if anything to help the little guy make it?

Answer
You need to bring him in the house with you.  He sounds like he has a pneumonia.  Should start immediately on penicillin 1/2 cc injections twice a day for 3 days.  Keep warm/wrap in blanket, etc.  Also probably needs one 200 mcg selenium tablet crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and half the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and half the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule mixed, cooled and given orally, again re dose with this a second day.  Tubing is excellent.  Would not use nutridrench more than once as it has propylene glycol in it which is toxic to goats.  You can add 1/8 teaspoon of coffee to the milk and tube that - gives a little extra energy to his systems.  Let me know - call me too if you'd like at 360-742-8310.  Did you have a chance to clear out his nose and mouth with an ear syringe? Also, when you hold him if you drop his head a little with your hand holding it of course this sometimes can allow the excess mucous from birth to drain out.  Let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres