Goats/WHAT DO I DO NEXT

Question
QUESTION: MY BABY GOAT IS 7 DAYS OLD I MILKED THE MOMMY GOAT FOR THE FIRST 72 HOURS,   BECAUSE SHE WOULD NOT LET HIM EAT .  THAN I GOT SOME MILK REPLACEMENT FOR GOAT COWS AND HORSES ,FEED AS THE BAG SAID TO .HE STARTED TO HAVE YELLOW STOOL AND LITTLE RUNNY SEEMS TO BE HUNGER ALL THE TIME. I DON'T THINK IT IS TO BAD BUT I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT .SHOULD I GIVE HIM JUST WATER   TO NIGHT  . HAVE ALREADY STARTED TO WEAKEN  THE MIXER .

ANSWER: If you can give him 1 cc of CDT toxoid vaccination - the feed stores have this - 22 gauge 3/4 inch needle - given in the rear thigh muscle is best.  This is for possible clostridium infection that can cause loose yellow stools and make the kid goat extremely ill.  Glad you gave the little one colostrum from the mom.  Is the kid goat in the house with you?  If not would do that to keep it warm.  Do you have any oral antibiotics for goats - Sulmet, terramycin, Duramycin, etc.  If you do let me know and I will give you dosings for it - if not if you can get some at the feed store tomorrow that would be helpful to start the kid goat on.  I take it you are mixing the milk replacer as it says for kid goats? How often are you feeding him?  At 7 days old for a dairy goat he should be at about 6 ounces every 4 hours; if he is a mini breed/pygmy, etc., he would be on perhaps 4 ounces every 4 hours.  Let me know about this.  Diluting his bottle is a good idea - you can add electrolytes - pedialyte type for human infants, unflavored type, works well - use the electrolytes instead of plain water so he stays hydrated.  If his stool gets extremely runny you would need to start antibiotics - you can use the oral or start on injectable, whichever you prefer.  You can also give pepto bismol to help coat his tummy and help stop the loose stools - tell me how much he weighs if you can and I could give you a dosing on that too.  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: thank you so much for your help .my kid goat is 7 pounds .he got his mother milk for 3 days .than started him on unimilk milk  replacement . he stays with us in the house at night and daytime he goes on the porch or goes and sees his brother .mother had twins and takes care of one but would not even clean the other.i tried for two days to get the mother to take care of him but she would be mean to him so here i am . i have started him on the pedialyte .he eats every 4 to 6 hours .he is not having lot of stool and it is not in balls like before ,alittle runny but not bad . it is still yellow . i will get some  antibiotic and i might have bismol i will give him .IS there anything else .my husband is not a animal lover and does not wont to spend all on him  but my little girl is so i am doing my best .

ANSWER: Unimilk is great.  Time interval of feeding is very good.  The CDT toxoid is available at the feed store and is usually $6 for a small vial - all you need for a while.  You can reuse syringes but not the needles.  The oral antibiotics, especially the powdered ones, are usually very inexpensive - let me know which you get and I will get you the dose.  Use of a small syringe will do for giving this orally (you mix in with a little milk or electrolytes).  Keep me posted.  If you need to get an answer sooner than later, as sometimes I don't always hear my question alert on my phone, please do feel free to call me at 360-742-8310 - anytime day or night, really.  Donna

QUESTION: he is still just as perky as he was .his stool has changed colors it is a dark green color and still loose . i give him 1/8 of duramycin two times a day . in the
morning i will get my Daddy to give him another shoot .i still am giving him pep-to .hes got 3 doses .i feed him every 4 hours ,1/2 cup of mix to a quart of pedialyte .just checking in .  thank you so much for helping me and our little man .

Answer
Thanks for the update.  You can hold off on the second CDT injection for now.  The green poop would be from the pepto bismol.  We may need to switch antibiotics if the stool gets watery with mucous in it - let me know aboiut that.  But, sounds like he is doing well.  Again, please do remember if you want to ask a question anytime that you need a quick answer for, don't hesitate to call me, really.  360-742-8310 Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres