Goats/pregnant goat

QUESTION: Hi Donna . Ellie the goat that was rundown recovered very nicely with the calf starter and oil . I am starting to get concerned though , as she is very , very pregnant , so much so she can barely get up on her own . My lamancha bred the same time freshened today , i was expecting ellie to be first . The kids are alive in her i see a kick now and then . A week ago there was mucus discharge , thought she would have them then . My question , should i be concerned or do you think things are going ok ? Shes not late yet by a day or two .

ANSWER: Hi there - sounds like last week's discharge was her mucous plug - assuming it was not a long strand, just some mucous - creamy or white in color?  Are her pelvic ligaments gone?  That is the best way to tell how close they are.  Is she up to date on her selenium/vitamin E and D?  The fact that she was run down a bit perhaps took a toll on her hormones and so she is a little slower in getting started.  If you see any long strands of discharge, see her pushing hard or moaning with no kid parts, and her pelvic ligaments are gone - so loose you cannot feel them, then might start to worry.  Have her sides dropped so her pelvic/hip bone areas look like she is thin?  Would offer her warm molasses flavored water - about 1/4 cup molasses to one quart of water - this sugar will help keep ketosis away, especially if she has multiples.  Glad you can see the little ones kicking - I would expect they are ready to come anytime.  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna , yes the gue was white and only a little . The pelvic ligaments are gone as well and the kids have dropped . I have given her molasses and warm water and also vitamin b complex and probiotics just to give her a boost . I have salon e , how much should i give her in an injection , and i'll pick up the vitamin d and e today , this is also injectable . To save on needle pricks to ellie can i combine the the two together ? Also the other lamancha freshened , a beautiful doe , moms and babys are doing great .

Hi there - thanks for the update.  Good idea to add the B and probiotics.  Re the "salon e" I have not heard of this specifically - I have used Bo-Se in the past but have not used for 10 years since starting use of oral selenium/E/D mixture - don't know if you can get the oral easily enoughg - but that would save the little lady an extra stick.  Re if you use Bo-Se it is 2 cc for an adult goat.  Sounds like the LaMancha doe is doing great - very nice to hear.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County