Goats/Premie Boer goat

QUESTION: I have a preemie Boer male 3 to 4 pd., 30 hours old, has eaten 3X, urinating frequently, no pooping yet.  Worried about defecating, and pneumonia.  He is in house.. Was one of three; one dead at birth, the other stopped developing in utero around three weeks ago.
Should we give penicillin via mouth if so how much (1 ml) or something else?

ANSWER: Penicillin per mouth does nothing.  Would advise 1/2 cc twice a day for 3 days intramuscularly - in the rear of the rear leg thigh muscle - not much there but enough - must draw back on plunger a little once the needle is in to be sure you are not in a vein - red/blood would come into the syringe - then pull out and start again.  Use of 22 gauge 3/4 inch needle is best.  Penicillin is available at farm/feed stores.  What milk formula do you habve the little one on? Would consider he has constipation too - start on 1/4 teaspoon of human mineral oil given orally now and again in 4 hours - looking to see poop in 2 hours after that hopefully.  Can also give him an infant enema - now and possibly again in 4 hours.  Would consider he has either pneumonia and an infection from his mom.  Is the doe doing okay? Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: No poop except for tinybit from canine licking not nanny. Bonded with nanny tonight while I was milking her. Baby is drinking mothers milk from bottle. Standing more Nd one eye open. Have first dose of mineral oil at ten will give se one at twelve. Sleeping a lot but not larthargic. Please advise. And thank you for all your valuable information.

Keeping the kid warm is important.  Hoping he is doing better this a.m. - pooping we hope.  Let me know - Donna

PS you are always more than welcome to call me at 360-742-8310 for immediate help - sometimes I don't hear my e-mail alert go off - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County