Goats/Re: Migi

Hi Donna,
Update on Migi - Donna u know i don't think hes sick i think it could be that hes just bored with the same food & hay b/c i'm constantly giving him day in & day out so it could be that right? Before i bought him inside he was climbing on the our fence trying to eat some weeds i feel bad b/c our yard dosen't have any green plants/forage i mean its not like we have an acre full of forage & plants. I feel like i'm depriving him of his livelihood as a goat. I mean i give him his hay and his snack food but its not like he has access to forages. Please let me know what i can do for him b/c i hate to see him not eat.

Me & Migi

Goats do well with a pasture that has nothing natural in it and are fed intensely, that is straight hay.   He could certainly be bored - adding some play toys for him might help - something for him to jump up and down from or go under or over, or just stand up on.  When I feed snacks to my goats I literally throw them all over the pasture so they have to search and find.  Since he was raised alone I doubt he is lonely.  If he is not drinking water well you could give him salted pretzels as a snack as these are easy to digest and the salt keeps him thirsty.  Re nothing to eat in the pasture, in one of the paddocks where I have goats there is nothing but dirt so they are on grass hay, grain, and get bread once a day as a treat.  Hope this helps - let me know.  As an extra, in one of the pens where my packgoats are I have a children's play ball and I see the goats kicking and playing with it.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County