Goats/Re: Migi & Sulmet

Good Evening Donna,
Just updating u on Migi & the sulmet - U know Donna after i gave him the sulmet when we were emailing each other later late that evening at around 5:00 pm he made poop and his poop had already started to hardened up & had berrie forming look to it even though it was clumpy a HUGE difference from very soft pudding like diarrhea. & i continued the same dosage of sulmet & molassas around that time 5:00 pm but i also gave another 2 doses of pepto b. + his probiotic paste and he still continued to eat his hay. However he still shys away from his everyday snack food. Donna do u really think he has COCCI?? or could he just have digestive upset from me giving him seaweed, dried peas, & peanut butter wafer cookies? B/c i really don't know what caused this in the first place b/c i gave all three snacks all at the same time the seaweed, garlic dried peas, & the peanut butter wafer cookies I'm afraid now to give him those snack foods. Also Donna what if he dosen't have COCCI will continued sulmet harm his stomach? B/c i'm thinking about the nasty bitterness taste that could affect his stomach. Yes/or No. please let me know Thanks Donna u are a godsend bless your heart & i will continue to keep u updated!

Me & Migi

Unfortunately many times when treating a goat you have really no exact idea of what caused the symtpoms so what you do is treat with a "kitchen sink" method - cover a number of possibilities - none of which would hurt the goat even if they do not have that illness - so, no the Sulmet won't hurt Migi, as I said, as long as you are giving the probiotics.  

He could have also had a bacterial digestive infection which we also talked about and the Sulmet will help with that.  It is not just an anticoccidial medicine.  

So, glad he is doing better.  As I think I have said lots of times before, Migi has a sensitive digestive system and a few snacks might be okay but then too much or too different and it causes his stomach to react and that is when the diarrhea occurs and/or even a bacterial infection can take over.  

Hope this helps explain it.  Keep me posted - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County