Goats/Re: Update on Migi

Good Afternoon Donna,
Update on Migi - U know Donna just took Migi ouside and put him on his runner and gave him his hay & his snack foods however on his way down the stairs he pooped normal berries except for this one small clump of berrie poop as observant as i am i got down to examined the small clump and there was red mucous like streaks on the poop i assume its blood. Does this means he has cocci? i gave him a dose of sulmet & molasses this morning & thats all i was going to give him however should we still continue the sulmet at 2 times a day if so for how many more days? Today makes 3 days already. So far hes eating normally but not drinking today the water level is not going down so i assume he hasn't been drinking for the most part. Please let me know regarding the poop. I'm scared first time i see blood. Thanks Donna

Me & Migi

Thanks for the update.  So, the blood can be from coccidiosis, or digestive bacterial infection, or worms.  Since you have seen this I would continue the Sulmet twice a day for another 2 days at least.  I can also be from the diarrhea he had causing the blood vessels in his anal canal to pop and leave blood.  As long as you are not seeing a huge amount I am not so worried.  The next time you have a chance perhaps you can look at his lower inner eyelids and let me know the color.  Hoping they are pink.  White would mean he is a bit anemic.  Let me know - Donna

PS - Heading home from work in about 15 minutes (5:30 p.m. Pacific time) so allexperts or call to get a hold of me - thanks.

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County