Goats/rearing goat kid

Question
I am worried about one of three goat kids I am rearing.It coughs after feeding even though the others dont using the same teat. And this morning it struggled to finish its bottle and fed with its eyes slightly closed.Even though it seemed to play quite well with the others .I worry if she is getting pneumonia and can I nip it early?       they all are eating dirt when I let them out to play.They are in a smell pen because I am worried the horses will kick them, so are out only for a short time after each feed, to play.

Answer
Put your head on her side and listen to her lungs. Take her temp. This will give you guidance as to whether to give her antibiotics. How old is she? She could have a defect, which is interfering with feeding. Feel inside her mouth to see whether there might be a problem with her palate, causing leakage of milk. The fact that she is still energetic is a good sign. If she has a temp or reaching seems off, it would not hurt to treat with antibiotics. Good luck!

Goats

Cheryl K. Smith