Goats/rearing goat kid

I am worried about one of three goat kids I am rearing.It coughs after feeding even though the others dont using the same teat. And this morning it struggled to finish its bottle and fed with its eyes slightly closed.Even though it seemed to play quite well with the others .I worry if she is getting pneumonia and can I nip it early?       they all are eating dirt when I let them out to play.They are in a smell pen because I am worried the horses will kick them, so are out only for a short time after each feed, to play.

Put your head on her side and listen to her lungs. Take her temp. This will give you guidance as to whether to give her antibiotics. How old is she? She could have a defect, which is interfering with feeding. Feel inside her mouth to see whether there might be a problem with her palate, causing leakage of milk. The fact that she is still energetic is a good sign. If she has a temp or reaching seems off, it would not hurt to treat with antibiotics. Good luck!

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law