Goats/sick female

Question
QUESTION: my goat gave birth on 1/2/13 and she had been fine so far. she was fine when i milked last nite but today she will not eat. she acts like she has something in her mout or throat. and she had diarrhea real bad. it is greenish in color and real watery..not for sure what to do.. she is lamancha and nubian mix

ANSWER: Hi there - did she eat her placenta? What type of hay is she usually on?  How old is she?  I would suspect at least that she has some sort of infection - intrauterine or a pneumonia or both.  Would start immediately on penicillin (feed store has this) at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days along with probiotics daily (powder, gel or yogurt is fine).  Since she is not eating she also needs vitamin B complex with thiamin - human tablets are fine - four times the human dose twice a day until she is eating again.  Crush the tablets and dissolve in a little hot water and give orally.  If she is not drinking, drenching with electrolytes will help with dehydration.  Have you give injections before?  Intramuscular is best for penicillin - in the thigh muscles at the rear of the back legs - 20 gauge 3/4 inch length needle is best - you must draw back on the plunger once the needle is in the muscle to be sure you are not in a vein - red color will come into the barrel - if this happens pull out and squeeze out that penicillin/blood mix and draw up new penicillin.  Goats can be very allergic to antibiotics in their veins.  You can give her peptobismol to help with the diarrhea.  1/2 cup per 50 pounds body weight every 4 hours for two doses.  Then wait for 8 hours and see how diarrhea is.  The green color can also indicate coccidiosis.  Penicillin should help with this.  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: no mam. she didn't eat the placenta. this was her first birth. wouldn't nurse baby either .  we are having to bottle feed her. we did everything possible to get her to nurse her but she would let her. i had some sav-a-calf so i gave her that and the pepto and the probios. want be able to get any penicillin till monday. thank u for all ur advice. it is greatly appreciated. also she has been drinking water. i think her stool was a little thicker tonite when i checked on her. she still wants to move her jaw around and it sounds like she is grinding on something. i have tried to look to see if there is anything in there that might me stuck but cant seem to see anything. but she is pretty stubborn as most are. if u have anymore suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. and again, thank u soo much for your info.

Answer
Thanks much for the information.  Glad she is drinking water.  Items you gave her are a great idea.  Can continue on those.  Glad her poop is a little thicker.   Is kid goat doing well? Glad you took the little one and are bottle raising.   Whatever antibiotics you can get her on soon should help. Keep me posted and if I think of anything else will let you know.  If you ever need to get a hold of me on an emergent basis you are more than welcome to call me, anytime, at 360-742-8310.  Donna  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres