Goats/update on Sam and the pooping issue

Hi Donna,

I am still concerned about Sam.  He is not pooping on his own at all, without an enema.  We are getting one good poop out of him every day, but it is taking an enema to get that.  It looks normal, mushy yellow berries, not fully liquid.  I'm at a loss.  Do you think he will ever do this on his own?  How often should he be pooping in a day on a regular basis?  

I have tried all of the suggestions regarding making the mild replacer, etc.  In fact, right now I am out of goats milk and cannot use that at all, just water.  He is eating very well still, no issues there.  In fact seems hungry and wants to eat about every 3-4 hours instead of the 5-6 hours that he should be at right now.  Maybe I am worrying for nothing....sigh.  

Thank you for your continued help!

Hi there - he should be pooping on his own by now, and at least two or three times a day - two things may be going on here, one he is not getting enough protein/food to produce enough poop to go as much as he should be and he could also be dehydrated.  I would suggest putting him on a regular dosing of the milk replacer but use pedialyte nonflavored type electrolytes to mix in with perhaps 1/2 electrolytes and 1/2 water.  I would add 1/8 teaspoon of mineral oil to at least two bottles a day.  How much is he eating now?  You may need to increase his amount by 1 ounce or 2 ounces every 4 to 6 hours.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County